Major site update: Group blocking, more external links and upcoming infrastructure upgrades

Status
Not open for further replies.
Miku best girl
Admin
As promised a while ago, group blocking has been implemented. You can block/unblock a group on their group page. A list of groups you have blocked will be listed on a new tab in your settings page, where you can also block/unblock groups. Chapters of blocked groups will essentially disappear from the site, with the exception of the group and user pages. This means that chapters of blocked groups will not be shown on the front page, updates, title pages, your follows, or your RSS feed.

We also added support for Anime-Planet, AniList and Kitsu links on title pages recently. This will enable us to add support for importing from these sites in future.

In other news, you might have seen occasional database errors recently, during peak times. This is because we have been growing steadily for the past half a year to the point where further infrastructure upgrades are now necessary. We're looking at adding another slave database server and cache server for North American image traffic.

As always, thanks for your continued support!

f0INwaI.png

is a Reindeer
VIP
roses are red
violets are blue
a block for you
and you and you...

Big thumbs up on group block being implemented. It couldn't have come at a better time.

Wouldn't it be fun if someone created a thread to discuss which group(s) to block, and why?
Or is that gonna be a Pandora's box??

THANK YOU! I was literally about to ask if there was a way to block certain groups before I went to the homepage and saw this

Dex-chan lover
😲
*Opens his Follows page, scrolls down to latest SSSSS chapter release on it, loads group page and clicks the lovely Block button*
😍

Fed-Kun's army
Thanks for the group block addition, I've been really wanting this for a while.

Dex-chan lover
Time to block Doki, I always hated those guys because they don't like my ships.... just kidding, lo/ I can't think of a group I could block, but there are some mangas I hate to see or even be reminded of, so time to check which group is working on them O_O) thanks for the update

@Holo
Just noting the effect of the group block:

i noticed that blocking a group simply takes chapters off a list, but it doesn't replace them.

for example, i saw that a lot of DB Scans chapters were uploaded in a bunch. So I blocked & unblocked DB Scans to compare its effect on the Main page.
Before blocking I counted ~22 rows (= around 44 chapters) in the Latest Updates. Out of those, DB Scans uploads were ~7 rows, or 14 chapters.
After blocking I counted ~15 rows left, which is around 30 chapters.
So, the block "un-displayed" those 14 chapters, but did not replace them with other groups' releases that were chronologically similar/before.

Is there no way around that loss of 14 chapters?
After the block there was just a big empty space where those 14 chapters used to be. This kind of effect really isn't noticeable unless someone mass-uploads a group that's blocked. For example, sometimes the mods upload MangaPlus "releases" in this fashion, and that will be very visible if you have MangaPlus on your block list.

I'm not complaining really, but just curious.

Can someone explain why they hate sssss I'm pretty new and they seem normal other than skipping chapters like a plebe

Contributor
@Van_ they are infamous for scanlating the last chapter of random manga. See
https://mangadex.org/title/20891/urara-meirochou
https://mangadex.org/title/29323/hanamatsu-ibara-meguru-haru
https://mangadex.org/title/22581/saguri-chan-tankentai

Can we get stats on how many people blocked sssss relative to the people subscribed to those mangas in particular?

@Van_ unlike other snipers he's doing it to piss off both readers and scanlators, for entertainment. Also brags about it in comments enough to get comment-banned twice. Other snipers at least have the excuse of drama strictly being between scan groups.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread