Open Storythread

Dex-chan lover
For those of you unfamiliar with the concept,

Now with that out of the way, I'd like an open story-telling thread where we write stories and give one another writing advice.
Rules are covered in the link above.

I was unsure whether this belonged here or in original/fanfiction but I thought that because it could include any/all options and could include scenarios and conversations based on the stories, it was best suited here as a general category.

Dex-chan lover
Ngl most people are better off putting their original fictions in literature cause of how little traction the original fiction subsubforum threads get.

Well I've got three short stories that I've been storing forever. I wanna get into writing again in the future when I feel like I'm bored to death. Please tell me what you think, I'm working on improving the tension and character interactions in my story.

Little Robot
Unfeeling Elegy
The Doctor, the Halo, the Scythe

P.s. I'm planning to expand the second one so what you're seeing there is a sort of prologue. Also if you're bothered by
the last few lines
in Little Robot that is because
it's intentional. I wanted to make the readers feel uncomfortable, is it bad or good?

Dex-chan lover
It's perfectly find to make readers feel uncomfortable or sad as it's part of good story telling. Alan Moore's Watchmen is a good example of a story that was designed to make people feel uncomfortable as it was written to go against he "invincible, indestructible" mindset around Superheroes and the Reagan Era. It's all in execution. @DANDAN_THE_DANDAN

Dex-chan lover
Yeah, I always enjoyed reading the various posts and stuff on places like /tg/ and I'd be interested in what people on like mangadex come up with as a stories. I'm not posting much in here right now because this is for short stories and I'm working on a bigger one for Original Fiction. This thread is meant for short stories that are either original or based off another work. @fagguette

Dex-chan lover
@NoahLittle
Finding inspiration cannot be done by sitting still. I find most of my story inspiration while I study and watch YouTube, and sometimes when I look outside of the car window while travelling between places. You need to be more active in finding inspiration by taking notes of your surroundings and see if you can develop them into a half-baked idea that seems good enough at first. For example: I thought up of a magic system after learning about proteins in my class where small particles in a parallel dimension is artificially realigned by the human concioussness in order to affect other particles that are embedded in our physical world where different magic are essentially just the same particles connected together to form different shapes.

Remember, not everything is an instant-hit; 75% of my initial ideas suck so much but I wrote them all down so that it will never be lost through time. Why? So that when I get even more inspiration and I find that one half-baked idea matched perfectly with another half-baked idea, you get a whole-baked cake!

From then on you can develop your cake by brainstorm to put the decorations and all. Worldbuilding, charactership, concept, plot points, deep undertones hidden between paragraphs (optional) - these all are essential to a good story and yet they all develop separately yet together. It's okay if loose threads in your overall plot still exist - just note them down and wait while observing for more inspiration in the form of yet another half-baked idea to add onto your cake. Rome wasn't built in a day.

Next step is the actual writing process which is yet another rabbit hole. To compress everything down: read more, write more. Great penmanship comes from experience and experiencing other works.

Also one trick I currently trying out is writing in order to find inspiration. There are times when I just felt like writing something then suddenly a narrative problem pops up and I thought of a random half-baked idea just to solve that problem and it actually worked. I wanna do this for some of the plots that have been laying dormant for a year already. I'm just gonna put [and this happens] each time I got stuck so that my focus flow isn't ruined. This will happen to words and phrases I'm unsure what to put in yet as well.

K that's everything I got to help.

Users who are viewing this thread