M+ aka MangaPLus... what's the hate?

Group Leader
Hello all,

So, recently M+ has acquired "It's Time For "Interrogation", Princess!" and the comment section just exploded of how people are dropping the series simply because it is now hosted on M+. Some even said M+ is paid service. Can someone care to explain what's going on with M+?

True that there are features missing on M+ such as commenting and etc., but like... it's a small inconvenient. So far all the mangas linked to M+ is free to read as is on Mangadex. Plus, Mangadex don't have to host those images so less strain on the server. Isn't this a good thing? The manga I followed on Mangadexget updated with new chapters (just not on mangadex).

Since the whole scanlator group exodus uproar couple of months ago, a lot of the series no longer update on Mangadex.org and I have to bookmark those sites just to read it *cough*JB*cough*. Am I going to visit M+ just to see when new chapters got released? No. Will I click on the link from Mangadex on the chapter I am anticipating? why not?

All in all, what's the hate for Mangadex linking to Mangaplus?? Did I miss anything with mangaplus shenanigans? Or is Mangaplus has geo blocking for some countries? Really interested to know what's the big deal here.

ps. yes I have read the announcement. but what's the hate? link: https://mangadex.org/thread/158413

EDIT1: So after going back couple of pages of forums... I understand that MangaPlus do not keep a lot of older chapters..which kind of suck, but between not having anything to read at all and only able to read "recent" chapters.. I choose recent chapters. I mean.. Mangadex already spoon-feed you those mangas through Mangaplus external links, eat it or not that's up to you. If you choose not to and the food is spoiled (expired) then why hate the feeder or the food?

Dex-chan lover
EDIT1: So after going back couple of pages of forums... I understand that MangaPlus do not keep a lot of older chapters..which kind of suck, but between not having anything to read at all and only able to read "recent" chapters.. I choose recent chapters. I mean.. Mangadex already spoon-feed you those mangas through Mangaplus external links, eat it or not that's up to you. If you choose not to and the food is spoiled (expired) then why hate the feeder or the food?
This is my main gripe with the site. I come at it from the side of a new reader. If I discover a new series that is only being worked on by them then i'm shit out of luck looking for the chapters in between.

personally im not a huge fan of their online reader & the fact that it doesn't sync with the "follows" tab on MD, but otherwise i dont understand the hate either. i think it's the same white hot rage that people had for the delayed releases that could be viewed on external sites: people getting up in arms over a minor inconvenience.

my biggest problem is that i can't for the life of me find where i can buy physical releases of english translations that they have on their web reader, i would gladly pay to own SPY X FAMILY but it just doesn't seem to exist

Dex-chan lover
Oh they don't host here? That sucks. I downloaded all the recent chapters unaware that it's just a link. Hopefully they post long strip with all pages loaded so I can download it.

Edit: I can't. K I'm jumping on the hate train now.

Group Leader
because they kill non-wsj scanlation and make old chapters literally unreadable every week duh

Dex-chan lover
Well people don't seem to understand what mangaplus is, mangadex can't host the chapters here, because they don't allow the upload of the official translations which is what mangaplus is for, which is why that redirect, the "removed" chapters on mangaplus depend where you at i think, and if your region have that manga licensed or not with VIZ or any other of those, i live in south america, and can see most of the manga with all their chapters up to date, no removed chapters, except in a few of them, bigger ones like One Piece, for those that can't see that content, most likely because it got licensed in your region so you have to wait for the volume release, Mangaplus app is more like another legal alternative to VIZ app to read WSJ manga, because of the region block VIZ have. Removed chapters is a thing that even the japanese site for the manga source do, since it work more like a trial and they allow you to read the first 3 chapters, and 3 or so last chapters, if you want the rest, you either purchase the chapters or wait for the volume (which mangaplus or viz case is wait for the volume release)

One thing i can agree is, that the reader is shit, and the quality is low, but they replace the pages later with better quality, most people don't know this because of the chapter removal, even so while is low, the details of them are still better and more visible than the scanlations of the WSJ manga. Another thing i noticed too, is that the spanish version of the same chapter have a bit better quality than the english one.

if you want to see the removed chapters, you can always wait for any of the group that do those, or go to some other aggregator and read them anyway

Double-page supporter
> because they kill non-wsj scanlation and make old chapters literally unreadable every week duh

You mean that 3 weeks isn't enough to read that chapter? Please no bullshit like "I only check it once per month".

Dex-chan lover
@DANDAN_THE_DANDAN
You're not supposed to do that in the first place.
It works like Weekly Magazine.

If you liked it you should have bought the physical copies or the digital copies.
Or just download the shitout of everything everytime new one released.

Dex-chan lover
@DANDAN_THE_DANDAN
Tachiyomi,

Mobile only.

If I live in US I would have bought like manga every week though to have my own collection sadly I didn't live there.
Here in 3rd country world Indonesia the manga Quality is quite bad but considering the price it's fair, but not worth the effort anymore as they sometimes not even fully dedicated to finish the manga properly.
Yet alone no LGBT (I want to read Yuri stuff) but will probably never get licensed because our stupid Laws despite being a damn fictional story.

So the only chance is either buy digitally or order physically.
Both is equally expensive considering our GDP but it is what's only available as the option (imagine a single physical manga with 50% extra MSRP).

Dex-chan lover
@DANDAN_THE_DANDAN
For physical copies you need to order it outside and it cost 50% extra lol ofc i am pessimistic,
I read Yuri everyday lul, and i finally realised that our country doesnt license any of those kind of manga not even the Subtext one.

Our country manga industry is technically dying by now.

For me M+ disadvantage just it doesnt have a mean to re-read the whole manga. Many manga sometimes need to re-read previous chapters to understand what was going on with new chapter.

>You mean that 3 weeks isn't enough to read that chapter? Please no bullshit like "I only check it once per month".

I'm one of them people who will sit back for as much as 6 months to a year after I find an interesting manga so that I can spend an afternoon, or an insomniac's night, reading it. Not everyone are impatient fucks who literally can't wait a week (there are a lot of users who can't even wait hours for chapters) for something to be updated.

Plus, it also helps me that a LOT of what I read tend to be monthly chapters, so unless you completely forgot about those, people DO check once per month on series. Just because you check a series once a week doesn't mean that everyone does.

Also, putting my hand in this bucket, not being able to see the backlog of chapters sucks majorly, esp from someone who archives just about everything I get my hands on. Can't tell ya how much hidden gold I have on my hdd's after websites shut down, places get scrubbed, etc., etc. I'm mostly indifferent to stuff like Manga+ at this point, though I got super pissed about what MangaStream (I believe that's who they were..?) did with Shokugeki no Souma and losing a lot of chapters from when Bato.to was still alive and kicking (I can't believe it's been 2 years already...). But after a while, I just stopped caring and moved on to other stuff. I don't care enough about official digital platforms (If I'm buying something, 9 times out of 10, it's gonna be physical) to really care what stuff like Manga+ does, but I definitely don't condone them, either, esp if they don't pick up a series from the beginning, or don't have a way of reading chapters after a certain time limit. I'm far more inclined to a paid model vs just not being able to read the backlog at all.

Because, at the end of the day, if I want something, I'll sail the 7 seas. I've found a LOT of booty doing that, esp after websites go down. Contrary to popular belief, not everything can be salvaged on the internet. (If anyone has AonE's backlog of fansubs from back in the 2000s, before Nyaa got nuked the first time, please let me know)

Fed-Kun's army
Their app is actually fairly decent, but I agree, webpage is a shit. But I've yet to see properly designed and made Japanese website.

What's the best in m+ is all that additional stuff you get. Like, comments from authors, interviews with editors or extra illustrations or pages. Fan scanlations rarely do such things.

If you want to read WHOLE manga just buy the damn thing. Do you expect publisher to give out whole series for free? Hell, OP, Naruto, Kenshin and Claymore got re-editions so people can read it from the beginning.

For a free official way of reading manga? It's awesome, but if you don't care about publishers and authors then yeah, it's not good.

Users who are viewing this thread