Why does having your comment getting labeled as "edited" after you edit them feel like a punishment for not proofreading before sending?

Dex-chan lover
I feel ya. Every time I type something no matter what it is I always double check for any errors but I somehow always mess something up and catch it after I post.
Praise be the 5 minute time limit its saved me so many times.

@DANDAN_THE_DANDAN
dude, it's the timestamp. I can handle the "Edited" being there, but the timestamp is kinda shaming. especially if you happen to go back and edit several times, as i end up doing sometimes.

the upside to that though is that you only see the latest edit timestamp... oh imagine the shame and horror if all timestamps show up for all my numerous edits.... or a count of edits.....

Rather than what you're feeling I just become increasingly curious about what used to be there if I come across a comment that has been edited before I read it.
It's like a special version of an internet thriller even though I know it was probably just a dumb typo.

@dokkotak

a certain software development site has implemented this, including viewing previous revisions. It's like a mausoleum for all your mistakes.

Dex-chan lover
I can see it now.

All posts will be edited 69 seconds ago.

The all edited text will have really large fonts, eternalized even after April 1st.

Everything will be in Times New Bastard
images

Dex-chan lover
Avoiding edits,
a challenge to not fuck up,
but with no reward.

Fed-Kun's army
Yeah, I feel you. You feel like a klutz when it happens, and it's compounded when longer comments that you put effort into fall prey to this. A little something that I learnt from Reddit is to tack on a new paragraph headed by "EDIT:" making a note of corrections made or adding more text, followed by "EDIT 2:", "EDIT 3:", and so on, if necessary. It's a good-faith gesture from your end, and it eases the shame a bit.

Contributor
Putting in the effort to edit shitposts may be counter-intuitive, but unintentional typos in my own posts are zettai yurusenai.

Users who are viewing this thread