Votes: 5 14.7%
  • AWA

Votes: 8 23.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Instrumentality Instigator
Staff
Super Moderator
As everyone recalls, earlier this year I attempted to organize an MD meetup. It didn't go well for various reasons.

This time, I have decided that we will plan *much* farther out and more sensibly than just slapping a poll up and hoping for the best.

The first step will be to choose a convention. I realize that the choices aren't that great for those of us who live several states away but I am confident that the locations chosen are within reason for most of us in central/east coast area. Sorry Midwesterners and West Coasters. There is absolutely nothing preventing you from holding a meetup of your own, but I won't be able to attend them.

The choices are (in chronological order) :

ACEN
Chicago, Illinois
May 15-17

ColossalCon
Sandusky, Ohio
May 30-June 2, 2020

DragonCon
Atlanta, Georgia
September 4-7, 2020

Cincinnati Comic Expo
Cincinnati, Ohio
[DATE TO BE DETERMINED]

AWA
Atlanta, Georgia
[DATE TO BE DETERMINED]

These are the conventions I am 99.9% sure I can make. They also are far enough out that attendees will have plenty of time to plan and budget if they should so wish.

Once we have chosen a place, then we can begin focusing on other stuff such as possible age-appropriate events (Who wants to bar crawl with me!?), sit down meals, assisting with finding roomies, etc., etc.

If the organization is too much for me, I will ask interested parties to help me organize.

Feel free to post thoughts and suggestions below.

New, longer lasting poll - Cast your vote here: https://linkto.run/p/QY6MF2B6

kudos for actually trying to organize a gathering again!
ColossalCon - there's a typo, right? May 30-something, and not May 3rd.
A question - a bigger city is better, right? like, easier to get to (fly in and get around to), instead of places like Sandusky or Cincinnati.

Staff
Super Moderator
@dokkotak
Thanks for catching that typo!

I would think that a bigger city is better, yes. Cincy actually has an airport close to it (SVG airport code) so it's not too bad at all. I'm actually 1.5 hours away from Cincy so I could live with that.

I'm about 4-6 hours away from Atlanta depending on traffic. Looks like DragonCon is in the lead, but it's early days yet.

damn, i'm a west coast scrub and currently unemployed so cross-country trips are out for me this time. but there does seem to be a concentration of MD users up near Sea-Tac, so maybe the PNW can band together for SakuraCon someday.

either way, hope this works out zeph!

Dex-chan lover
@Zephyrus

Can't you just join the area 51 raid and borrow a few teleporters and pick up everyone?

Staff
Super Moderator
@Teddy
I'm not suicidal. I don't want to be gunned down by some bored jarhead itching to kill some poor weebs that don't know any better.

Fed-Kun's army
I think this is clearly not getting enough publicity, looking at the dearth of both votes and replies.

Also, I'd like to request that we users be allowed to either change our vote or be permitted to vote for multiple conventions (2 or 3).

Group Leader
RIP, all those conventions are hundreds of miles away from the places I travel between in the year. Hope y'all have fun.

Let's all take a moment to realize that Cincinnati CE's Ticket Buttons are in Comic Sans font.

I’ll probably go to Dragoncon again. Wasn’t too difficult to come across people my own age there in comparison to way more kids at anime conventions in recent years

Dex-chan lover
Are we ever gonna unpin threads there's alot irrevelant threads still pinned

Contributor
So now, ACEN has been cancelled, while ColossalCon now overlaps with DragonCon on Labor Day Weekend.

Users who are viewing this thread