Sundome

If you're on the fence about reading Sundome hopefully I can help you make a decision. Sundome is my all time favourite manga and from over the 10+ years I've been reading manga, this is the most compelling story I have read yet.

The first thing I should mention is that Sundome treads, visually, on the thin line between manga and hentai. However, the sexual content in Sundome isn't its main focus. Sundome is, at its very core, a love story. The crude, raunchy behavior exhibited between characters is all part of a clumsy misadventure originated simply from an interest in the opposite sex. As you read Sundome, characters often develop their own sexual interests, but more importantly, these interests are molded intricately around their feelings of affection. From lust, a genuine desire for companionship is spurred almost instantaneously. The ensuing sexual escapades (and lack thereof) are just an awkward acquaintanceship between two curious, invested individuals. Sex is not presented simply for the pure eroticism of sex. Okada Kazuto uses sex as a chain of intimacy, locking individuals in a loop of dissatisfaction and longing.

Just as a side note: compared to the realm of literature, Sundome is very tame. When you read more and more books, the topic of death and sex are reoccurring and increasingly morbid. Relatively speaking, Sundome speaks of its sexual antics in a light-hearted, comedic style, when you compare it to say, Story of the Eye by Georges Bataille, or even Norwegian Wood by Haruki Murakami.

The real highlight of Sundome, and the reason I love it so much, is how it builds its relationships. When you read it, there is a dark shadow looming somewhere in the distance, a sense of terror that is seeping through each page. The tragedy of Sundome is not introduced in a single chapter but slowly unfolded from its very start. Each action, each decision has a significant meaning, slowly graduating from inane formalities exchanged by complete strangers to highly nuanced glimpses of intimate desire. The sense of demise is introduced fairly early to the reader, and as you progress, there is no remedy for it aside from acceptance. Each time that I read Sundome (I currently had finished reading it for about the 8th time last year), I feel the exact creeping dread that I experienced the first time I read it. The relationships in Sundome, much like its counterpart found in reality, are fleeting, with no guarantee of persisting as long as life.

Sundome is paced perfectly. There is no rushing, there is no dragging. Okada Kazuto took his time telling this story, and I am forever thankful that he did. To end this review, let me share with you how Okada sums up Sundome, and he does a much better job than I:

I want you.
I need you.
I love you.
But I can't touch you.
I say hello...
You say goodbye.
That is Sundome.

I hope I helped you make a decision, even if it was to ultimately not read Sundome. It's a story of frustration and heartbreak as much as it is a lustful account of ones youth. Goodbye everyone, and have a good day.

@toleomato Said everything that needs to be said, but I still wanted to pay homage to one of my all time top 5 favourite manga.

The following is just some personal rambling that I felt I needed to write down, instead of keeping it locked in my chest.

Sundome has a great story, a story which moved my wounded heart. At the time I first read this manga, a few months had passed since the end of my first relationship and what I had tried to do because of that. Following my recovery I buried myself in manga, anime, books, films... anything that let me escape reality, even if only for a little bit. During that time, I found Sundome. I was first engrossed by the protagonist's sexy escapedes, and read it as I would any hentai. But then, as I continued reading, unknowningly, I became more and more invested in the story, and then, when the dream was over and it was time for the protagonist to grow up, as if a dam had broke, all my pent up emotions surged up in me and I cried, I cried and let go of my old attachment, I cried and forgave myself for being so stupid before, and finally, I cried and I grew up too.

I'm emotionally attached to my other four favourites too, but none of them, NONE of them, has influenced me as much as Sundome did.

Dex-chan lover
This entire story is a freaking train wreck, only read it if youre a masochist.
If youre not, save yourself th troulble, read the ending first so you dont get your expectations up.

This is a great story.

One of the interesting aspects is how interconnected the characters are and how seemingly inconsequential details from the beginning become important later on. All of the characters are important to the overall story which is kinda rare these days.

This is definitely not a romcom, ecchi harem, power fantasy, moe character, etc... story. This is a somewhat dark and somber coming of age story.

Great story, but I don't get the tragedy things, beside of the dream of MC seeing the heroine have sex with that old man. (probably missing chapter make a plot hole for me)
If anyone care to explain more, please do :)

@tamachii12

The event at the end is a bit confusing, probably meant to be up for interpretation on purpose. There may also be some lost in translation nuance there too. I tend to believe the ending follows the meaning of the title.

I think I read this in conjunction with Peephole (which was also a bit of a fun trip.)

This manga does throw a bit of psychology right from the start, and if you can get through that, it's a great read through.

i remember reading this manga long time ago. great story. it is that kind of manga that you can only read once because you know what will happen to you if you read it again.

@DrFrost

Spoilers:

Kurumi's death is alluded to throughout the story. The hints are subtle at first, Kurumi's nosebleeds seem innocuous and although she gets sick every so often, she recovers completely. As the story progresses, however, the story adopts a darker tone. Through numerous panels, it is suggested that Kurumi prostitutes herself to a doctor so that she can afford medical treatment. In a slow curtain reveal, the reader discovers that Kurumi is dying, and she had known so from the beginning of the story. The S&M relationship between Hideo and Kurumi is tied closely with death. Kurumi's cold, distant demeanor isn't necessarily a sexual kink, but a coping mechanism for her inevitable end. She will never have sex with Hideo for she must never love Hideo; she does not have the time left to do so.

In this sense, Sundome, to stop the moment before, assumes two contexts. One concerning the sexual connotation where Kurumi consistently teases Hideo until he is on the verge of climax. And the other, concerning the framework of their relationship. The intimacy between Hideo and Kurumi deepens as the story progresses, but no matter how close they may get, how deeply they may feel for the other, nothing can transpire from it; they may experience everything a relationship entails except for the relationship itself.

To chase and to be chased, that is the tragedy of Sundome.

Code:
Mod Note: Please use spoiler tags when talking about chapter-specific or future events.

Dex-chan lover
@toleomato
She didn't actually prostitute herself though, he was only a doctor that paid her visits at the her house. Most of the stuff with the doc is Hideo's delusions. Also use spoilers man

awful art, story, characters. hated this entire manga and its tries to be your lie in april but ecchi but fails at every single aspect.

Indeed. It tried really hard to be Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso, five years before the latter even started.

I mean, how stupid...?

Amazing manga. I read it in it all in a single night. I just couldn't stop. The art was beautifull (when it comes to characters), the relationships were build so well. I hate tragedies, but I love it when they're well made enough for me to read/watch/play them through anyway.

Sundome is almost perfect. And since real perfection doesn't exist, that "almost" itself is a form of "perfection".

Dex-chan lover
So,how "bad" are the future chapters? Because seeing the "nail to dickhole" thing really put a turn on me. But my curiosity is peaking,what can I expect from this?

Users who are viewing this thread