Forum Suggested Features: Megathread

Instrumentality Instigator
Staff
Super Moderator
Post what features you want when actually creating a post or thread! Debate the pros and cons of a feature to your heart's content.

Edit: Adding all requests to first post for neatness.

Suggestions
*Toggle High/Low Resolution Images to preserve mobile data
*Reply function
*Ways to upvote/downvote/appreciate a particular post
*follow threads and maybe even users, and get a note when there are new posts made.
*new posts indicator, so i can see if there has been any new posts without having to go into the thread and look.
* reaction-emojis like discord posts preferred to simple up/downdoot
* Post-preview feature (as a tab or as a button that prints the parsed post in a box above the textpost for example)
* Subscribe to Forum/Thread, get notified through the Message system when someone posts and/or per email
* Add button to each post, to add the post content as a quote into the text field
* Add direct-reply to each post that jumps to the reply textbox with the post already quoted
* Add a "new threads since last time" + ability to exclude certain forums from this (might exclude off-topic for example)
* "*View who is reading the thread" + Ability to be hidden from any such stats (incognito mode)
* Add light separators to the forum list, just like the thread list, like this https://i.imgur.com/Th6yd1T.png (you get the idea)
* Hide the "Post reply" button when the Post reply box is open
*Archive Thread in Suggestions Forums to keep track of implemented/rejected suggestions
*Add post/thread counter (and links to said posts and threads -Zeph) to user profile
*Block User Feature (PMs only? Or block out user posts as well? -Zeph)

Implemented
*Report post to mods
*Modify/Edit post
*only mods should be able to start new threads in announcements
* emojis in posts (obv.)
*Have brower tabs reflect forum/thread user is in.
*Make ALL forum headers clickable at top of thread/forum page
*Breadcrumb links in forum
*Using @and then a username pings the user
* Color-code the "xxx hours ago" field like in the chapter page. (recent posts are green)
* Mentioning someone with @username adds a notification as well
*Novelty Idea: Add flags to suggestions like "Open", "Planned", "Rejected", or "Implemented"
*Mods to be able to edit titles of threads

Rejected
* users can delete posts but it will appear as deleted
*Remove the delete post function for users
*Separate avatars for forums

Staff
Super Moderator
Usually with edits, there's a feature that preserves previous versions of the post so that mods can see the original content. I'm unsure if that would be feasible in this situation or not.

Other things:
*View who is reading the thread
*make a link in the thread header to jump to the latest post/latest unread post

Power Uploader
*follow threads and maybe even users, and get a note when there are new posts made.
*new posts indicator, so i can see if there has been any new posts without having to go into the thread and look.

why would you want to see who is viewing your thread?

Power Uploader
*only mods should be able to start new threads in announcements

Staff
Super Moderator
Well, I just like to know who it stalking me. :v

I don't suppose there's a *good* reason for that particular feature, but I've seen it on just about every other forum out there.

rdn

Forum Admin
Staff
Developer
* emojis in posts (obv.)
* reaction-emojis like discord posts preferred to simple up/downdoot
* users can delete posts but it will appear as deleted, kinda like this:
k0LEYWn.png

* Post-preview feature (as a tab or as a button that prints the parsed post in a box above the textpost for example)
* Subscribe to Forum/Thread, get notified through the Message system when someone posts and/or per email
* Mentioning someone with @username adds a notification as well
* Add button to each post, to add the post content as a quote into the text field
* Add direct-reply to each post that jumps to the reply textbox with the post already quoted
* Color-code the "xxx hours ago" field like in the chapter page. (recent posts are green)
* Add a "new threads since last time" + ability to exclude certain forums from this (might exclude off-topic for example)
* "*View who is reading the thread" + Ability to be hidden from any such stats (incognito mode)
* Add light separators to the forum list, just like the thread list, like this https://i.imgur.com/Th6yd1T.png (you get the idea)
* Hide the "Post reply" button when the Post reply box is open

Power Uploader
Perhaps a per-forum "Archive" section with optional visibility to users.

As an example, you might want to "archive" threads in the Suggestion forum for ideas that have been processed.

Novelty idea: Add flags to the "Suggestion" forum to mark threads as "Open", "Planned", "Rejected", "Implemented", etc...

Contributor
instead of just reaction emojis, i suggest reaction images like they have on reddit

Allow editing the first post to edit the name of the thread. That would allow you to edit the name of this thread to make it more clear that it's for anything forum related ?

Staff
Super Moderator
Potato, I know that this was not terribly clear when I made the title of the thread, but let's try to keep this a forum features only thread.

You're welcome to make a MangaDex features suggestion megathread. I'll gladly sticky it!

Power Uploader
"Eye" feature when we've already seen a thread. The eye should disappear when there is a new reply to the thread we've seen. When there is a new reply, bold the thread.

Group Leader
Just to clarify, the "better iPad support" request was for the manga reader, not the forums. I've managed to cheat my way around the problem by manually editing my redirect to point to the chapter I want to read (and it stays fullscreen while advancing to the next page and the next chapter), but it's a pain to have to edit HTML code every time I want to read a manga :)

Staff
Super Moderator
Whoops! My apologies, Guspaz! I'll move it to the appropriate thread.

MD@Home
Deleted posts could have a 7 day or 1 month grace period during which the contents can only be seen by mods and the original author.
Mods could also have the ability to mark a specific user or thread as under review to have posts persist for the duration of the review.
There probably also should be a 24 hour grace period after a post leaves review where it can, at minimum, be remarked as under review.

Double-page supporter
I'm sorry if it's already suggested, but can we have a tag blocklist? I don't want to see mangas/hentai with certain genres/tags (I'll not say which ones but you're free to guess) and would be more "clean" to search for a new thing to read, without stepping on landmines occasionally, if you know what I mean.

@loki266 This thread is for suggestions relating to the forums/posts/threads. See General Mangadex Site Improvements (and yes, it has been suggested there, but I think more input is a good thing, as it shows how much people want certain features). This thread also mentions the tag blocking feature in search, might be worth commenting there with your support

Group Leader
Things that would be nicely displayed underneath avatars:
pips (group leader/typesetter/redrawer ect...)
group name as member group

Other stuff:
More subsections in scanlation, for example recruitment, guides, general discussion. Main reasoning for this is that it looks bad with a bunch of people recruiting members as it currently is. I don't necessarily think that there should be a section for groups, maybe just a comments section underneath the group page, like there is for chapters. Doesn't really belong in forums IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread