Manga Rock to Shut Down

Double-page supporter
https://www.oneangrygamer.net/2019/09/manga-rock-scheduled-to-shut-down-following-media-criticism/92287/
Scanlation site Manga Rock is scheduled to shut down soon after various copyright holders within the manga industry and media outlets criticized the site for providing visitors with copyrighted material, and making money off said material with paid subscriptions without putting anything back into the coffers of the creators.

The news was reported over on Japanese news site J-Cast, who picked up a quote from the group, who told them: “At that time, we didn’t understand the manga industry, we didn’t know the origin of the scan (including the non-official license), and we know that it will damage manga artists and publishers over time.
“Moreover, as the popularity of “Manga Rock” increased, so did the damage, so we deeply reflected on our role in accelerating the popularity of scanning and made victims out of the artists and publishers. As a result, we plan to close our scan collection site and app, and recommend that similar scan collection sites (there are many) be closed as well. To those in the manga industry, we are truly sorry for the trouble. ”
As noted by Anime News Network, the big criticisms came from the fact that Manga Rock had a premium service for those who wanted access to freshly released manga. All it would cost you is a $5 monthly subscription.

Irodori Comics CEO, On Takahashi, took to Twitter to lambaste Manga Rock back on August 27th, 2019, which is what helped lead up to the site announcing its closure.
TL;DR: Manga Rock made a subscription service for a site that illegally uses official translations and doesn't give a cent to the original creators. Expect server trouble in the future.

Fed-Kun's army
guess we're gonna been getting a large influx of users migrating from illegal sites over to here after they close

guess we're gonna been getting a large influx of users migrating from illegal sites over to here after they close

You do realize "all" manga sites are technically "illegal" right?

Manga Rock pretty much had the same stuff as Mangadex, but also had their own scanlation team and APP (which is the one where Japan took notice, they didn't know the website existed because it was already IP blocked in Japan)

Going by this, it means any and all other English manga sites should NEVER release APPs... otherwise they will face the same fate.

___ ___ ___

BTW, I never had to do any "SUB" to read mangarock stuff, tho I pretty much never read there since most of what they have is already on here and some other sites that I read on.

I only know of mangarock due to the "other site" had some of their works (IE: watermarks on some manga and credit page)

@Burning_Hammer

Is there something specfic in this situation as to why Mangarock was so easy to shutdown?

This almost never happens to other illegal Manga sites and BOY have companies tried to shut down Mangakalot and Kissmanga so the legality and illegality is not the issue.

Maybe it was the subscription? Aggregators make money with ads so they are not selling copyrighted material, so maybe the paid subscription was used as proof they were selling stuff ilegally.

Dex-chan lover
Damn. I read a few series on Manga-Rock. Although I didn't even know about any subscription services.

Double-page supporter
with subsciption fee $5.00 mangarock free of ads
the careless people think mangarock who scanlate and pay them

>people advertise your shit for free
>make a quick buck out of it
>want money in addition to free advertising
Without piracy their damn industry would be dead.

@negavamas

Perhaps. That might be it.

If they had a subscription system, they would need to give their banking details. Mangarock might then have gotten tracked down via the Bank account. The company could then get the Server company they're paying (Via banking details) to shut them down.

Aggregator gang
Damn, where i'm going to read Grand Blue now? Help me out guys

Ohh... I see so Mangarock is going bye-bye...meh. Ever since coming here to mangadex I don't bother with the other manga sites. I pretty much just stick here or the mangaplus app 👾

Group Leader
It happened 1 week ago (I mean 10 days ago) and you guys are discussing it now? Too late? No? Then you are not using twitter then? No? I don't really care. Luckily, parliament comes back from recess and it saves my day.

As more countries become able to support higher speed and quality internet services, expect similar sort of activities to pop-up. Now the worst that could happen is they begin to run interference with each other and current existing and popular sites to further their hidden bottomline.

(rip GOD)

@sastrathebest the majority of english speaking anime/manga news sites only started reporting on this yesterday, and personally i hadn't seen a single person talking about it before 2 days ago

Fed-Kun's army
Mangarock goes rock bottom I guess?

@sastrathebest I had seen the main tweet but their japanese are just so bad that I stop caring about it lol. I wonder how bad their translations would be with the CEO itself like that…

Group Leader
No, It started around 15 to 20 of August, just search "mangarock" on twitter (sorry I'm so sleepy rn) @dankdevice

Oh is that so? Unfortunately I can't read japanese so I don't know much about their conversation (in japanese) @421cookies

@sastrathebest im not saying it didnt happen then, just saying that the reason we're talking about this right now and not 10 days ago is because most english speaking anime/manga news sites only started reporting on it yesterday.

Users who are viewing this thread