Wonder Cat Kyuu-chan - Vol. 5 Ch. 432 - Tube Popsicle

When I was a kid, I used to sneak unfrozen ones to my room and just drink them.

I'm pretty sure anyone who ever had these things probably did this, I know I sure as hell did.

Contributor
Am I the only one who noticed the sudden drop in translation quality? Not only "these have not yet frozen" because yeah, that's totally how everyone talks to their family, but also the missing E on "freeze" in the last bubble.

Nitpicks aside, I'm still super happy to have it back.

@Choco_Pudding
"have not yet frozen" aside (because everyone in different regions talk in different ways) the 'e' on freeze is dropped for a reason.
As in, Kyuu is going in before the sentence ends.

Contributor
@Longherin ah, hadn't noticed that. Thanks.
But that just puts the issue in a different place, because we don't use ellipses to indicate speech that has been cut off in English, even if the sentence tapers off at the end in a way where it feels like one might fit. At the very least, you would still use a hyphen (or maybe some other kind of dash, I just use hyphens for everything) before the ellipsis. Besides, since English can't be clipped up as nicely as syllabic languages like Japanese, you have to be careful where you remove letters in order to actually alter the pronunciation; so if the intent was for the speech to be cut off then the "Z" should also have been removed.

Fed-Kun's army
Thanks for the new chapter! Kyuu-chan's desperation is real.

@Choco_Pudding
Using ellipses to indicate cut off (or in this case more of a just 'faltering off') speech is commonplace enough now that I think it gets a pass. Using hyphens may be a little too abrupt of an ending and would indicate that Kyuu noms on it aggressively, which may not be the case (hard to tell with just 4 frames).
Removing the 'z', I think, causes much of the same thing. the final 'e' in 'freeze' is not necessarily silent for all speakers, and thinking about it now Hinata may be either cutting himself off (going silent) or else dragging out the last syllable (kind of like an elongated 's'), depending on non-existent context, so having the 'z' at least ensures that the meaning of the word isn't entirely lost.
Either way, words are weird.

Users who are viewing this thread