Should we create an "otome" or "villainess" tag?

Should we create an "otome" or "villainess" tag?

• Add an otome tag

Votes: 51 28.0%
  • Add a villainess tag

Votes: 75 41.2%
  • Add a touhou tag

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • Add an otome and a touhou tag

Votes: 15 8.2%
  • Add a villainess and a touhou tag

Votes: 17 9.3%
  • None are useful

Votes: 21 11.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Fed-Kun's army
Since we see more and more stories like that, isn't it time to create a tag for it? Seriously, just typing "villainess" already give us 15 results, all pretty recent, so surely more will come soon.

We could also create an otome tag instead: it would include all the shoujos happening in world with 19th-early 20th century european clothings, nobles and romance with female MC (So all the villainess stories are included in it) (I know that otome is different than that but if you find a better word, tell me) (It would also include fantasy and not-fantasy). The number is also so high that you can consider it to be it's own subgenre of shoujos. (Just the chapters on the home page right now contain: IRIS - Lady with a Smartphone; Doctor Elise: The Royal Lady with the Lamp; My Fair Footman. 3 of the subgenre on 42 releases)

Also another tag we could add is touhou: the number of touhou doujins translated is also huge. There are 630 touhou mangas on the site. (At least they are easy to find, so the tag is more for exclusion)

Edit: I didn't know if it was considered as a suggestion for the site, so I posted on the general forum for manga

EDIT: I repeat: THE TOUHOU TAG IS FOR EXCLUSION; THEY ARE EASY TO FIND BUT BOTHERSOME WHEN LOOKING FOR SOMETHING ELSE

yeah, this probably belongs in the Suggestions subforum.
i haven't read many manga that i thought needed such tags(otome, villainess, touhou), but that's prob because of my own reading preferences.

Dex-chan lover
I read/checked out a few of those otome game manga, and in none of them the MC acts like a villain, so the "villainess" tag might be pointless. If the MC isn't acting like a villain, they aren't a villain. It doesn't matter if they replaced a villain in the original setting story. Aren't these series basically shoujo+isekai anyway? I don't think the alignment of the MC or the original source of the isekai world are important enough to be tags, anyway.

I don't read doujin here, so I won't comment on the touhou issue.

Fed-Kun's army
@Kaarme I agree with the villainess tag being a bit pointless. It's just that they are popping like mushroom, like when the isekai genre was very trendy. (Also, some of them act as a villainess: The Villainess' Slow Prison Life)

But for the otome tag, I didn't mean that it would be automatically linked to otome game. It's just that I didn't find better word for that genre. A lot of them have nothing to do with video games (though reincarnation inside the same world is pretty common) but it's always the same setting : European noblesse around the 19th-early 20th century (with or without fantasy elements), a girl MC and romance. Example: Marielle Clarac's Engagement; May I Please Ask You Just One Last Thing?; The Villainess' Slow Prison Life Began With Her Broken Engagement. No reincarnation, no video games, no novel. (Well, the 3 of them are parodies of the genre. And I don't know the "normal" ones enough to find one without reincarnation)

Maybe a term to describe 19th century would be good (Historical is very vague as a tag)

Dex-chan lover
Hmm... Concerning the otome tag, I see now what you meant. However, in that case I can't say I'd really feel qualified enough to judge it, then, meaning I haven't studied the tags carefully enough to develop a broader picture. It sounds a bit too specific, but if there's a volume of titles big enough, it naturally won't be.

Fed-Kun's army
Even Otome is a bit different: It can be with school boys, gangsters or anything.

Maybe the tag "victorian" will do the job?

I don't find another simple word to describe the 19th century.

Dex-chan lover
Eeehhh. I don't think its necessary? I mean most there are quite a bit of then out there but its can't really be encompassed under a single category like isekai can. Most the villainess tags really are just part isekAI. The few that could still kinda fit but not really?

And for otome are you referring to games that got manga spin offs or stories about girls who got reincarnated into a 'fictional' otome game? Wait you mentioned just Victorian era. That's.... Sure I guess.

Really though I don't see a point to it unless you like categorizing your list or whatever.

Fed-Kun's army
@unime It for categorize them. Like you said, lot of them have the isekai/reincarnation tag, but totally different from classic isekai or wuxia reincarnation. You can eliminate a bit with the tag shoujo but this still leave a lot non-desired.

For the word "Otome", it's a bit wrong but I couldn't find a better word for it. No need to be about a game or a reincarnation; it's about girl romance in a victorian settings. Maybe the tag "Victorian" would be better. (A bit more broad, but with other tags, you can eliminate a lot)

(Same reason for Touhou. They are easy to find but when you are looking for a small doujins and we get a lot of touhous results, it get annoying (1/5 of the doujins are Touhou (615 on 3200). In comparaison, there is only 58 dragon ball, and 182 Idolm@ster)

Dex-chan lover
I agree with Otome. It's practically a new subgenre in the manga world now, like isekai in the recent anime industry.

But why Touhou? Pretty much every Touhou doujins has Touhou in the title. Just look it up. It also doesn't match the current dynamics of either theme or genre.

VIP
Re: Touhou: Reminds me of these suggestions

- #8813: Doujin association with series
- #52810: Grouping together one-shot doujins of same series

QSS

Group Leader
An otome tag would be great
We have isekai, why not otome?

Dex-chan lover
@QSS
We have isekai, why not otome?

Great many of the otome series belong to isekai. I guess not all would as there could be manga adaptations of real otome games. In other words, even if an otome tag was created, many of the series would also carry the isekai tag as well.

Dex-chan lover
@Kaarme Yeah but that's not really that great of an excuse.

Almost all zombie stories are automatically horror with several exceptions; almost all time travel stories are sci-fi with several exceptions; almost all isekai are fantasy with several exceptions. You see my point?

Dex-chan lover
@DANDAN_THE_DANDAN Not really. I only commented on QSS's post because it suggested that since we have an isekai tag, we could/should have an otome tag. I don't actually care if an otome (or equivalent) tag is created, but it's of no consequence to the isekai tag. The isekai tag is a higher order tag, it doesn't matter to it what's below it.

Using your own example, if I said that we should have a zombie tag because we have a horror tag, would that sound somehow relevant? That causality is clearly flawed. A zombie tag or an otome tag can be created to help people find (or exclude) those stories more easily, but they aren't a necessity for the genres above them.

Fed-Kun's army
No seriously, they just released this anthology: https://mangadex.org/title/41728/though-i-may-be-a-villainess-i-ll-show-you-i-can-obtain-happiness
And you can find a list of villainess stories from the translator page in the chapters. The number of "Otome" (or "victorian era" shoujo) is continuously increasing

No for otome. Simply because it isn't as unifying as other themes like isekai.

To make an example, in the "villainess" anthology, the villainess anthology itself isn't an otoge, for the other titles, 3 are non-isekai, a lot of them don't even involve antagonizing the "heroine" and one doesn't even have the villainess as the MC.

As for touhou, I don't care to be honest. The only issue it could have is making series specific tags could make people want more and simply making one gives validity to make others simply because there is a precedent.

Fed-Kun's army
@shouldsleep Like I said, Otome is not the best word, but it's hard to find a better one. Maybe victorian era would fit. But the style is here: era style after middle-age, nobility, young girl as MC (or at the very least in the main characters), generally romance, ...

Dex-chan lover
God, there are so many of them. The weirdest thing is that most of them are of sound quality even if they are just completely aping off of better ones

@Ovnidemon
Victorian would be a more problematic tag. A lot of shoujo, historical, and fantasy titles involve the theme, which would make its addition involve a lot of logistical work.

I said no for the tag because tags are meant to be unifying, which in this case, is not.

Users who are viewing this thread