Unread chapters automatically get marked as read when they're not... :not a bug:

Group Leader
I have a small nitpick with how marking a [✓Completed] series treats every single chapter as "read"...while that sounds like it's working normal and fine, it gets a little annoying when new chapters get added after the final [END] chapter at a later date, like extra/omakes/bonuses/promo chapters and whatnot, and those unread chapters are also automatically marked as read, when they haven't been read yet.

Examples:
https://mangadex.org/title/35178/have-a-coffee-after-school-in-another-world-s-caf
And here, where it ended on ch 3, but later got picked up off and resumed from ch 4:
https://mangadex.org/title/21906/kirei-ni-shitemoraemasuka

I'm honestly not sure if this is a bug or not, or just an oversight, where any new "unread" chapters get automatically marked as "read" if the series you've finished reading is marked as "✓Completed"

I believe it's intended and anyhow, it's just visual. If you change it back to "reading", your progress will be restored...

Group Leader
@p_consti

It might have been intended to work that way....but it still doesn't take into account for chapters released after a series has ended as I previously mentioned.

It's more than just visual...some people use this site as an alternative to Myanimelist to keep track of what they're reading.

If you change it back to "reading", your progress will be restored...
No. ...because:
1, That that doesn't solve the issue whatsoever.
2, If you mark a series completed, and then back to reading, it gets rid of all reading progress, starting over from scratch.

The reason this is an issue in the first place is that if you have a large library, it's easier to forget your place. You may click on on a series previously marked as completed under your follows, and think to yourself: "Oh I've already read this chapter" when in fact, you haven't, because the chapter(s) was a new one, released after the final [END] chapter.

@Harry_Dong
I just tried it, when I placed a manga on completed then back to reading, all the chapters were marked like before. Maybe they reworked it already and it reset your progress because you placed it on completed before it actually saved your progress... (before they saved the progress to restore it later)
Btw, I you MDList to keep track too, I don't use MyAnimeList...

About your first point, does that mean you don't see it update on the frontpage/on follows? Or is it just that you don't see the new chapters on the title page?

Double-page supporter
@p_consti I just did it to something I most certainly had all marked read on before and have had on completed for a day. It completely cleared it.

Custom title
Staff
Developer
This is not a bug for the reasons mentioned, but yes the entire read marker system needs an overhaul

Users who are viewing this thread