You'll never believe what happens if...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Staff
Admin
you get click-baited into reading an announcement.

Now that I've got you here... I was wondering recently how often people support authors via the methods on site. So figured I'd ask a few questions and hopefully some of you will share.

Have you followed any of the links to Amazon, EBJ, CDJapan, etc and bought any copies of your favourite manga?

How often?

And if you are willing to share, how much have you spent?

What do you actually do with your copies, if you can't read it?

Would a list of upcoming releases for new volumes interest you if we had it on the site?

Contributor
At least it was not the FBI waiting for me this time...

Group Leader
I often use links to raws or official translations, but not really to retail sites. Though I do buy raw manga from Bookwalker.

Power Uploader
I added a bunch of official links here but don't really use them myself, just look up the ISBN elsewhere and chuck it into booko.
For stuff I've read on mangadex, I bought 3 volumes while I was in Japan, was about 2100 Yen. Also recently ordered an English release of something I've been reading here for about 17 aud. I really have to like something to convince myself to spend since I've already read it online. Have spent roughly 100 aud on other translated manga not on mangadex though and my bar for purchasing that is lower.
Mostly just have them sitting on a shelf, though I open them up to look at the pretty art every once in a while.
Probably won't have much use for an upcoming volumes section of the site.

I do browse them sometimes and sometimes I bookmark them. But, I don't buy them. Prolly in future when I can understand Japanese.

Yea, usually use Bookwalker and Amazon Kindle.

Bout 2 times a month

Depends on how much I have on hand but like $100-$200

Look at the pretty pictures

Nah, thats what the retailer are for no?

Edit: are me and the FBI cool now?

Contributor
I don't have space to put physical copies of manga anymore... I used to buy more though. Especially of series that aren't readable on the internet for free (read: pirated). I have 3 volumes of Countdown 7 Days, but the official English publisher dropped the series before the final volume, which ????????? One day I will buy the entire set of Pokemon Adventures, Oresama Teacher, and Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki kun, but those are going to take forever and cost more than I can afford. I got a couple books from a used bookstore, but I don't think that really supports the mangaka

Nowadays I mostly buy webtoons on Lezhin and digital books. I try to read on the official sources as much as possible if they're free there.

I do appreciate the official source links on the info page though. Helps to know if there is an english publication I can look out for

I follow the links but I feel like an ass for not buying; just waiting until I can git that money. When I get there I'll probably buy the Japanese copies instead of the English copies since the mark-up kind of weirds me out.

Dex-chan lover
I only buy physical copy of official translation in my country (which not in English), never get the idea on buying the RAW since (as you mentioned) I can't read those anyway.

I think a list of upcoming releases for new volumes is okay I guess.

But Overall,
I think the links provided (Amazon and so on) in the info page are more beneficial for the scanlators that are interested. Since with that they know how and where to get their material from.

Fed-Kun's army
I typically buy translated light novels but not much of manga. If the manga has been translated, I've probably already read it a long time ago. If the manga isn't translated then it just feels terrible to buy because you can't even if the volume a second read. I wouldn't mind stacking my shelves with manga but considering the price, volumes, and space, I really hesitate to purchase them. (especially since who wants to see a incomplete series on their shelf or if that series were so long that it takes up the entire shelf) If that bookwalker app was better I would buy more manga and light novel from them but their English app is terrible to use to the point that I feel that they paid some interns to code it up and design it.

On the other note, I have purchased pretty much every single release from yenpress until my shelves were filled. (some 100 books? With a couple of super manga volumes the ones that are 3 to 4 volumes thick)

I just did, for the first time last week. Bought a couple series on Amazon/Kindle in English. Spent more than I planned to :/ but feels good to support the author yay

I would only really be interested in upcoming volume release info if there was a way to subscribe and get notified like “hey your fave has a new volume available today!”

Double-page supporter
not from the US so no but, i do try to buy them when i can. wont tell the amount but i have about 100 120ish volumes at the moment.

I just go to my local bookstore and order what I fancy. I see no point in spending money on books that aren't translated in my country (like Sakigake Otokojuku) if the customs are going to screw me and I can already read them translated for free online.
But, if the case happens when something is getting translated/already translated and I really liked it (like Mazinger ZERO) and it just happens to be edited on my country, then I'm willing to spend my money on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread