Who are the authors who influenced your writing style?

Who are the authors who influenced your writing style?

• BlackGeneral is my favorite author.

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • I don't even write, why did you tag me?

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • This Poll is stupid.

Votes: 4 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Dex-chan lover
Victor Hugo - He made me realise a main character can die and what an impact it can have.
J.R.R. Tolkien - I truly admire his English.

I guess it goes without saying I was still a little kid when I read Les Miserables and The Lord of the Rings. I didn't read anything from Japan until I was an adult, so they wouldn't have much of an impact anymore.

I'm sorry if you only wanted answers from those tagged people and thus I posted here unnecessarily.

Dex-chan lover
Not technically an author but still heavily influenced my writing - Porter Robinson directed the anime music video, Shelter. He's pretty much the man responsible for making me addicted to loli hentai begin a passion for anime and also love various subgenres of EDM, later down the line including loli hentai.

The music video is about Rin, a girl sent to space by her father, alone in a rocketing he made in their backyard using intellect and all the resources he had - in order to let her escape the Earth which is about to be decimated by a rogue planet. This concept alone has inspired so much of my stories - of which I have only plotted and have yet to properly write but hey, a start's a start.

He also kick-started my hobby of writing. I remember starting to like writing since there wasn't a story spectacular enough such as Shelter so I wanted to create one alike it. Of course, now I have watched and read enough to experience the same love and thrill I had with a Shelter, turns out I just need time to experience more great stories. But by then, my fascination for writing had already snowballed down the snowy hill.

There's also a local author within my country whose novels I picked up for a school assignment but ended up loving afterwards. Her name is Tere Liye. She primarily writes fantasy and science fiction which basically solidified my writing style. Now I write fantasy/sci-fi stories, well that is if I ever have time and dedication to write them. They're all only plots.

And one more, again not an author, is the Pixar theory. (Up-to-date version here) I'm so inspired by this challenge of stringing all Pixar movies together into one, coherent timeline through only meta references, critical thinking, and a wonderful imagination. This is an inspiration to my longest-running (and only) series in which I string all my stories into one, grand timeline using a hidden, solid mechanic of the universe. Not sure how I can make it more prevalent without making it too obvious tho.

Welp, those three are the only ones.

i haven't really written all too much, so i myself can't really tell if anything particular has influenced my writing. sorry.

Dex-chan lover
@Blackgeneral
Really don't write much. In the hundred ghost stories thread. I originally wanted to write about a cute middle school couple that dabbled in black magic, til I got through half the intro and found out it was too long and would take way to long to get to the ending I wanted.

Personally, I quite like slice of life manga or mediums in which multiple characters can have their perspective explored. Think character building moments in normal novels but I find slice of manga/light novel does it the best. Although I think Kamachi Kazuma, Dengeki's automatic writing robot, inspired me the most cause since he's written so much even the side characters gets loads of exposure.

So if you hadn't read my story yet:
The victim is actually a bloodier killer

Also please tell me if you liked it or not

P.s what are those Links

Dex-chan lover
Who influenced me?
It's the people of the web!
Inspired by your work.

r/shittypoetry
Title: Mormon Horse
I think my horse is mormon,
they converted him last week.
that really makes me think.

He doesn't drink his coffee,
He has 27 wives.
He wants to go to Ghana
And save their people's lives.

He clacks out bible verses
With his cheery morman gait,
And when someone tries to ride him,
He cites Leviticus right straight.

I see him in the ghetto,
Forgiving all the blacks,
and though he always gives to charity,
He never pays a tax.

Though I cannot fully prove it,
I know it must be true.
and my turtle is a jew.

Title: Oh Holy Shit
There once was a woman named Alice
Who shat in a Catholic chalice;
But, 'tis my belief,
She shat for relief
And not out of Protestant malice.

Random reddit Haikus I like.
I shed my old skin.
It's not some deep metaphor,
I just have sunburn.

My files they are here,
Windows seven updated,
my files they are gone.

Waiting for the bus,
I'm struck by nihilism,
and then by the bus.

Glorious writing.
There's many things that Britons do,
And very many well -
We're first in line for every queue.
Our fish and chips excel.

Our humour's dry.
Our weather's wet.
Our Yorkshire Pudding's baked.
Our slang's absurd, and don't forget -
The pasty pastry's flaked.

We lead the way in classic rock -
In country pubs and inns -
In panel shows that tease and mock -
In pies and double-chins.

We're great at making morning toast,
Or eggs and bacon, beans -
We morris dance, and like to boast
Of commonwealths and queens.

We're best debating shades of skies,
And how the day will be -
Insult the French, apologise,
And drink a lot of tea.

And when it's cold and grey for days,
And all that's left is rain -
We're excellent at finding ways
To sit and just... complain.

Rabies comment

Who is Ivan Chesnokov?

Who the authors are that influenced my writing style? That depends on when I am writing and what I am writing. I am really an avid reader, and manga or light novels are only a small part of what I am reading. There also are historical novels and Fantasy novels from Western authors, classic literature from Antiquity to 19th Century, fairy tales, folktales, legends, and myths, as well as a lot of scientific or humanistic non-fiction books. They all form a melting pot giving birth to my specific writing style.

If I should name authors that have influenced me specifically, it really depends on genre.

First starting with novels. For Fantasy novels, the author influencing me most is doubtlessly T.A. Barron with his Merlin Saga. Regarding historical novels it have to be Peter Tremayne and his Sister Fidelma series, John Maddox Roberst and his SPQR series, Robert Harris and his Cicero Trilogy, Ken Follet and his Kingsbridge Trilogy, the Medieval England Trilogy of Katia Fox, the precolumbian novels of Daniel Peters and "Aztec" by Gary Jennings, as well as Mika Waltari, author of "The Egyptian" and "The Etruscan". The latter influences me insofar as I know I will never be able to write as captivating, repelling and heart-wrenching at the same time. All authors named also have a deep influence on my novel writing style in general.

Also influencing my Fantasy novel writing style and of course my fairy tale or folktale writing style are 19th Century fary tales and folk tales collectors, most prominently the Brothers Grimm and Ludwig Bechstein.

When writing plays or poems Shakespeare and Goethe have always been a major influence, Schiller to a lesser extent.

My more recent writings are also often influenced by mangaka or authors from Japan, China, and South Korea. I admittedly read so much that it is hard to tell which inividual author of them has the most influence on me, though. Although I can say that the Japanese or Korean influence is stonger than the Chinese, especially with web novels.

Greetings,

Albwin

Aggregator gang
I have no idea what my reading has done for whatever style I have, because I don't take on many creative projects. I do know how reading has shaped my interests, and therefore the stories of discovery, myth, maturation and struggle I wish to write.

Roughly chronologically:
The Tragedy of Julius Caesar by Shakespeare: Dad made this bedtime listening for me while I was still reading little kid books. I haven't ever read it myself, but it was early exposure to the complexities of language.
Redwall by Brian Jacques: Animated series, then the books. Introduced me to heroism and intrigue.
Beowulf, translated by Seamus Heaney: Didn't absorb it very well, but it introduced me to the idea of epic poems passed down in bardic memory.
Watership Down by Richard Adams: Darker tone than Redwall, which scared the heck out of me in upper elementary, but I still read it five times or so. El-Ahrairah is a fascinating folk hero for prey animals.
The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster: Whimsical and heroic. And full of wordplay, just like my home.
1984 by George Orwell: My middle school encounter with social horror as a subject of literature.
Train Man by Hitori Nakano: The Japanese romance, in BBS format. For better or worse, it didn't prepare me for love, but it did prepare me for forums.
The Chosen by Chaim Potok: First book I read in high school. I don't remember the plot so much as the feeling: living under the sense of an apocalypse that never quite happens, except in small ways.
The Young Wizards series by Diane Duane: The best and most fascinating fusion of magic, science and mythology I've ever read, exploring the question of how one responds to tragedy in the world.
Stories of Your Life and Others by Ted Chiang: My favorite example of scientific concepts being used as metaphors for human experiences like loneliness, fate and ambition.

Honorable mention to the Homestuck fandom, which led me to some remarkable writers, and also taught me my tolerance for jank when the subject is something I'm interested in. Also Darkest Dungeon, whose narrator is deliciously purple.

Dex-chan lover
Douglas Adams. No matter how hard I try to avoid it, my writing tends to naturally drift towards his style of humor, especially if I try to inject some comedy into it.

Dex-chan lover
George Orwell, Ralph Ellison, Most of the Halo Novels...

Really everything did to some extent because I'm like a sponge...

Users who are viewing this thread