"Werewolves" search theme

Hello,

one month ago I suggested several new search themes but never got any reaction. Well, most might have been either too broad or to special, admittedly. Nonetheless, I would like to put forward again the very search theme I believe to be currently lacking the most: "Werewolves".

Since there already are numerous manga featuring werewolves, albeit not as numerous as vampire mangas, I believe the implementation of the search theme "Werewolves" to be a good idea. The more so, for where there are vampire fans there are also werewolf fans. Even the Wikipedia has a category called "Werewolves in anime and manga" besides its vampire equivalent, which confirms that a werewolf-specific search feature is not really an absurd idea.

Additionally, specifically searching for werewolf-related manga under the tags "Monsters" or "Demons" becomes increasingly difficult as there are many other results mixed in. A specific search theme thus would be very helpful.

Werewolves may not be as mainstream as vampires but are popular nonetheless. Thus I would like to see this feature implemented if the decision should be favourable.

Greetings,

Albwin.

Dex-chan lover
In short, you want a "Werewolf" tag so it can be search..
That's sounds ok I guess, since we got theme tags such as "Monsters" and more specific like "Vampires"

Wait, how come Vampires got it's own tag? Is it not the same as Monsters? This is racist!!!
It's a joke

is a Reindeer
VIP
@Albwin If you come up with a list of manga that include werewolves, we may consider it more. With our current tagging system, we have no plans for adding tags that only apply to a small number of manga.

@Plykiya:
Here is the list you have asked for. Although surely still incomplete, it contains the titles of manga showing humans turning into wolves or wolves turning into humans. I believe 111 titles are plenty to warrant their own search tag. To make it easier I have added links to every title.

1-nen 5-kumi Ikimonogakari
Akazukin Chacha
Akazukin to, Koisuru Ookami
AR∀GO - London Shikei Tokushu Hanzai Sousakan
Atsumare! Gakuen Tengoku
Attack on Titan - A Werewolf's Dream with a Vampire (Doujinshi)
Bara Kangoku no Kemono-tachi
Beware of Demons
Blood Lad
Buratto Buradora
Caramel Kiss
Cheat Kusushi no Slow Life: Isekai ni Tsukurou Drugstore
Circumstances of a Vegetarian Child Werewolf
Coyote
Crepuscule
Cynical World
Dance in the Vampire Bund
Dance In The Vampire Bund A.S.O.
Dance in the Vampire Bund - Scarlet Order
Dance in the Vampire Bund - Sledge Hammer no Tsuioku
Dangerous Symphony
Dear Wolf
Distancia ~ The Untouchable One ~
Dive in the Vampire Bund
Don Dracula
Full Moon ni Sasayaite
Gakumon! School of Monsters
Gekka Mugentan - Kaminashi Yoru no Otogibanashi
Genjuui Toteku
Getsurin ni Kiri Saku
Hakamori Majo Bianca
Hakuyou Ayakashi Gatari
Halloween Town -Party time-
Hana Haru
Harlem Beat wa Yoake made
Haru to Kyuuketsuki
Hatsujou
Hellsing
Hellsing - The Dawn
Heterogeneous Linguistics
Hide And Seek
Hoshi no Ame, Tsuki no Geboku
Hyper Police
Illegal Rare
Jinrou Chronicle
Jinrou e no Tensei, Maou no Fukkan: Hajimari no Shou
Jinrou e no Tensei, Maou no Fukukan
Jitsu Wa Watashi Wa
Jiujiu
Kaibutsu Oujo
Kaibutsu Oujo Nightmare
Kamu Otoko
Kekkai Sensen
Kekkai Sensen: Back 2 Back
Kesshoku no Shuugosha
Kimi no Unaji ni Kanpai!
Kindan no Koi de Ikou
Kindan no Koi wo Shiyou
Kirara to Shiroi Ookami
Klan
Love Hunter Akazukin
Lucky Wolf
Luger Code 1951
Lumine
Magetsukan Kitan
Majutsushi-tachi no Yasoukyoku
Mikan no Tsuki
Mitsujou
Modern MoGal
My Lord, the Wolf Queen
Naqua-Den
Ookami Kodomo no Ame to Yuki
Ookami Shounen
Ookami wo Karu Housoku
Ran to Haiiro no Sekai
Red Hood
Rosario to Vampire
Rosario to Vampire Season II
Rurou no Tabi
Sengoku Night Blood
Sengoku Vamp
Shinpu-sama no Kyuuketsuki
Shinyaku Ookami ga Kuru!
Super Secret
The Beast In The Tower
The Bride of a Monster
The Little Red Riding Hood
The Vampire Part-Timer Kirishima-kun
Three Wolves Mountain
Tokimeki Tonight
Tour Shangri-La
Tsukigime Lunatic
Tsuki ni Hoero
Undead Police Zondetta
Wagaya no Oinarisama.
Watashi no Ookami-kun
Werewolf (Yu Yan Shu)
Werewolf Breeding
Wild Honey
Wolf Boy
Wolf Guy
Wolf Guy (Tabata Yoshiaki)
Wolf Lover
Wolf's Castle
Wolf's Rain
Wolf's Rain - Air Wolf (Doujinshi)
Wolf's Rain - Méchant Loup (Doujinshi)
Wolfull Moon
World Teacher – Other World Style Education & Agent
Yokujou
Yoru to Yakusoku
Zoku - Kindan no Koi wo Shiyou

Dex-chan lover
What about a “Werebeast” tag, to pick-up also werecats, werebears, &c?

I have long thought on what to reply. I believe "Werebeasts" to be too large of a category since the definition of werebeast itself is rather unclear. If we go with the same definition I used to compile the list of werewolf manga, i.e. humans turning to beasts and beasts turning to humans, the question would arise if kitsune, bakeneko, nekomata, tanuki, kawauso, hebi, ten, and mujina should be defined as werebeasts too, which I believe to be rather doubtful as the definition as youkai is more fitting. Although I have to admit that I have seen the word "kitsune" translated as "werefox" somewhere, I really got the shivers when reading that. Additionally, my original motivation was to establish the search tag "Werewoves" as addition to the search tag "Vampires" such as to create a tag for another kind of European staple in horror and mythology regularly appearing in manga.

Group Leader
@Albwin That's an impressive list you put together.
There's one missing, so it's 110 now: the awesome Ran and the grey world
https://mangadex.org/title/2576/ran-to-haiiro-no-sekai

@DjAlexDubCheck:
Thank you. I have added the title you mentioned to the list so as to avoid it being overlooked down here in the comments when the tag will be implemented one day.

Group Leader
@Albwin Great.
Did you happen or do you plan to read Ran ? I totally recommend it.
I wouldn't worry about overlooking: once the tag is approved and added to the listing
we can manually add it to every manga featuring werewolves

Group Leader
I wonder if this might fall under the category https://mangadex.org/title/33379/the-wolf-lord-s-lady

@DjAlexDubCheck:
I don't think so. I have already read all chapters on MD and a werewolf has yet to appear. I rather think that "Wolf Lord" is a moniker for the male lead.

Dex-chan lover
Holy crap. This amount of dedication definitely deserves a reward or at least the entire forum's respect.

Well, the list I compiled as requested is long since standing but who do I have to ask so the tag might finally be implemented? I believe the number of possible entries doesn't lack in any way. After all it is the very tag I felt to be lacking the most ever since I started reading on MangaDex and thus a matter close to my heart.

@Teasday:
Seeing as you are the one who implemented the Mafia tag a month ago according to the "Add Mafia theme?" thread, I wondered if I could ask you to do the same with "Werewoves"? After my initial suggestion Plykiya had asked me to compile a list of manga that would get this tag so as to affirm if there are enough titles to actually require a new tag. That I did twelve days ago. The list has grown up to 110 titles in the meantime but nothing ever happened afterwards. The decision to implement tags or not to remains with the MangaDex staff, of course, but I would be really happy if this very "Werewolves" tag could be realized.

Greetings,

Albwin

Dex-chan lover
@Albwin

You may be quite correct that “werebeast” is too broad, but creatures that change from beast to youkai are not werebeasts. A shape-changer that does no more than imitate a human (if even that) is not a werebeast; the “were” in “werewolf” and in “werecat” &c comes from a word meaning man.

Of course, if lots of spurious tagging resulted because people didn't understand the difference between the general category of shape-changer and that of werebeast, then a werebeast tag would probably be nearly useless.

Custom title
Staff
Developer
@Albwin posted:

Seeing as you are the one who implemented the Mafia tag a month ago according to the "Add Mafia theme?" thread, I wondered if I could ask you to do the same with "Werewoves"?
Actually, it's @Holo since he's the one with access to the database and we haven't bothered to write a system for editing the tags yet lol

Custom title
Staff
Developer
Okay, so the problem with Werewolves as we see it is that it seems oddly specific (assuming the definition would be "people who transform into a wolf form of some kind") and that several of the example manga given seemed to be oneshots/doujins, had no chapters on MD or were more like wolf furries and/or dog versions of catgirls than werewolves. What is this tag supposed to actually cover? What would be the definition, and would there be a better name for it?

Moreover, adding this tags seems like it would prompt people to request for Werecats and Werecows and Werewhatevers next. Werebeasts might be a better alternative, but there's a weird partial overlap with that and Monster Girls which, now that we talked about it, I think is strange for being limited to only girls.

Users who are viewing this thread