New affiliate, MangaPlus support, infrastructure upgrades and supporter features!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Miku best girl
Admin
It's been a while since there have been any major updates! All the devs have been busy... But tonight, we are pleased to announce a bunch of new features.

Affiliates
We have a new affiliate we're proud to announce, SauceNAO!

The era of being sent pages and having to ask for sauce and never getting it are finally over. SauceNAO is a reverse image search engine that's indexed several billion anime/manga/other images. SauceNAO allows a user to put an image in and get links to the source out. We were reached out to by the developer of SauceNAO back in November 2018 asking for our permission to index all the chapters on the site and approved of the idea immediately.

You'll be able to take any manga page from MangaDex (or other sources), enter them into SauceNAO, and get a chapter link to MangaDex back. As of this post they're about 7000 IDs behind the most current chapter ID officially caught up and you can expect to be able to find the source of things within a day or two of the chapter being released.

MangaPlus support

We also have another announcement to make regarding a new site feature.

MangaPlus is the official aggregator of Shonen Jump and Shueisha. The chapters they publish are completely free for everyone to read. We've decided to support them by linking to their chapters on our own series listings. The chapters will redirect you to the MangaPlus website to read the chapter, but you can still comment on the chapter here on MangaDex in our chapter threads. Please shower them with your continued support!

We aren't in any way affiliated with MangaPlus nor were we asked to do this.
We may choose to support other free publishers in the future, but it would require users to assist us with the chapter submissions. M+ will be our trial run.

Infrastructure upgrades
We have completed upgrading our image archive servers - we outgrew the previous 8TB servers, and are now on 16TB servers. In addition, these servers also host our database slaves, and as a result we have lots of headroom for continued growth. DDoS attacks no longer affect us - we still get hit by botnets a couple of times a week!

In addition, we have upgraded one of our cache servers in Europe, so speeds should be much improved if you land on s6. We still plan to move EU caching onto Path once their EU datacenter goes live.

Supporter features
Finally, the first supporter feature is available. If you are a supporter, you have the option of displaying your supporter badge (this is hidden by default) in the supporter settings tab. More supporter features are planned in the near future. As usual, we'd like to thank all of our supporters for their continued financial contributions - ensuring that we are the only manga reader out there that does not have to rely on ads!

Group Leader
If you got MangaPlus, why not Comic FUZ too? It's basically Houbunsha's attempt at doing just that.

Group Leader
I like the MangaPlus idea, similar to how NovelUpdates links to chapters off wherever the translator has them on.

And finally, a way to search individual manga pages for the sauce...
giphy.gif

Will scanlantors also use this chapter linking? I don't wanna go to their awful website tbh.

Contributor
For MangaPlus, what's the plan for chapters which are only available for a limited time?

Dex-chan lover
@Eldwin I don't think so, the MangaPlus thing is like that because they are.. partnering(?) with MD.

So unless there's the partnering thing going on, I don't think you'll be redirected to anywhere, so no worries I guess.

Edit:
Wow haven't been in here for like 5 minutes, and it already got into thread preview.

Edit 2:
Not partnering and not affiliated.

Group Leader
I love this update.
SauceNAO is a lovely addition, very welcome to the sauce war !

The MangaPlus "bridge" addition into MD is a great idea, I love it and wholeheartedly support it.

Contributor
Linking to the official source is a great idea, especially for series that are already freely available. I usually have to check whether MU updates (which it only does sometimes) or if an illegal aggregator updates (and I won't read it there) to see if there's a new chapter, and there isn't as much commenter interaction there either.

Miku best girl
Admin
@xyzzy

Once they're unavailable, we'll mark them as such. If you enable the listing of unavailable chapters, their comments will still be accessible.

This is a great idea. I absolutely hate trying to keep track of 15 different translator sites for all my manga. Linking directly to the site though doesn't bother me if they need it for ad revenue or a shiny patreon button, as long as I can keep track of them in one place. Also the idea of getting a share of any revenue for any click throughs to support Mangadex without having to add ads directly to the site may be a good idea in the future.

The One
Staff
Admin
@ABCsOfLife
because they are.. partnering(?) with MD.

Code:
We aren't in any way affiliated with MangaPlus nor were we asked to do this.

No partnership or anything, we just chose to do this for our readers, so they don't miss out on chapters.

Dex-chan lover
@Lymus ah I was kinda right putting the question mark then. I guess I misinterpreted what you guys meant by "support"
Thanks for the explanation man.

Edit:
Also, I think I skipped some lines from the announcement, so once again my bad 😂

Not sure if im the only one that usually go to mangaplus site like 2 time a month just to read the new chapter of seraph of the end and ao no exorcist.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread