Does Gaming Affect Romantic Relationships?

Recently a survey was published in which 1,000 people were asked questions relating to gaming and relationships to see whether video games had an positive or negative influence on romantic relationships. The results they find were that 1 - 3 people in the age range of 18-24 reported gaming had a positive impact on their relationships with half of that group mentioning gaming in general having a positive influence on their romantic relationships. Meanwhile this favorable view trends downward as the respondents get older with the survey stating that "not even 10% of 55+ had the same positive view." According to Dr. James Gaskin, a video game developer and professor at Brigham Young University, it's simple due to the fact that older respondents did not grew up with gaming:

Romantic partners from the millennial generation grew up with video games as a large part of their lives. Therefore, gaming is simply more natural and accepted. Whereas with older generations, a partner who played video games was perceived as juvenile and irresponsible.

You can learn more of the survey and the results that were found here: https://www.getcenturylink.com/blog/does-gaming-affect-romantic-relationships/

Has gaming affected and had an impact in your romantic relationships and if so how?

Dex-chan lover
I'll say..
No not really. My.. ex and I, usually play mobile game together.. (this is gaming in general right?) and we get along great while doing so...

Hey wait a minute! Am I millennials now?!

Mobile gaming does count as gaming despite what some would say. Also whether you are of the Millennial Generation depends on if you were born between the late 1980s to the early 2000s.

Anyway from what I have read it would see the two of you enjoy playing together. It looks like the activity has some affect in your relationship even if it's not a big one. It's seems like the tow of you are bonding.

Double-page supporter
I'd say it depends on many factors, such as the kind of game and the time invested in it. At least in my case, games were one of the reasons my last relationship failed... He'd play games all the time, neglecting his studies and just looking for excuses to not play with me (we used to play FFXIV together). Also, inb4 everyone says it's my fault: Yes, I was the crazy you shouldn't stick the D in. I learned my lesson and decided to remain a spinster.

Dex-chan lover
Replace X by any activity.
1 You both like X. Good
2 She/he doesn't like X and you give more importance to
a. your relationship. Good
b. X. Bad

I'm a 20 years old virgin, don't mind me.

@ElBichoRaro
Sorry the relationship did not work out. From what you describe it would seem the person you were once with has a video game addiction. Usually there is a deep issue a person is going through but they try to buried it by occupying themselves. Also I do not know what you mean by "sticking the D in" as well as the meaning behind the word "spinster."

Dex-chan lover
Hard to say depends on variety of factors. One is the type of games. Are you talking rpg, shooter, eroge, visual novel, or mobile games? Including but not limited to time investment play a important factor. As to play said games, while maintaining a relationship with the other individual could either be simple or challenge for some individuals.

In my cause spouse has no problems with console video games. In fact there were times my spouse even sat down to play a game. Even better was when commentary was provided. (Play a lot of FFXIV, but newer games as well)

I do think that it’s overall a balance. You shouldn’t let games get in between your relationships.

@Xzayer
Are you talking rpg, shooter, eroge, visual novel, or mobile games?

I was actually talking about the survey that was published.

However you do have a point. Whether the couple has a shared interested in gaming genres, or at least are more open to playing games of different genres, would have a better time enjoying and bonding with gaming. The same can be said if the couple prefers to play games on either a console, PC, mobile, or once again they are open to playing games under different platforms.

I see you two must enjoy playing Final Fantasy 14. I have seen people having a lot of fun together playing this game with their friends/fans.

Double-page supporter
@May_Lily: Back then, I was devastated, but now, I'm better off alone. A spinster is an unmarried woman (which I am and will be for the rest of my life), and the other bit... I'd rather not explain. And my ex... He was indeed addicted to games, but he was also an otaku, in the Japanese, pejorative sense of the word. Good riddance.

@May_Lily There was some other survey like a year ago(sadly i don't have the link to it) 'bout impact of gaming on social development.
The results were quite suprising.
For males it was hepling. Kids who didn't have friends/were bullied actually made friends and relationships through gaming. Those who already had better social interaction. Gaming wasn't pulling them down.
For females it wasn't so clear. Kids with bad social skill do find help thanks to gaming but for kids with good skills gaming was actually decreasing their social development.
The researchers weren't sure if it's thanks to gaming being more acceptable by men in sociaty or if there are other biological reasons.

BTW: 1,000 as a sample group is too low to give any definitive answers.

True! A larger sample size would be even better. I would like to see Pew Research explore this topic as I believe they can get a good amount of people surveyed.

As for the survey you mention, I would have liked to read it but I understand if you cannot remember the name of the survey. I would imagine gaming still being seen as a masculine activity might be playing a role in how it affects males and females, but there could be other factors influence them as well.

Dex-chan lover
Never had any romantic relationships (but lots of games!), so you could say that in a way, it does? Not like I actively seek females anyway. Kinda given up. Doesn't matter anyway, I'm having fun just playing games, reading manga, and trying to find a career job while I'm on healthcare. >_> (Don't worry, I do voluntary work, so I'm not totally inactive)

If you know how to balance your romantic and your gaming life, then it shouldn't be a problem. I've personally grown out of my obsessive nature towards video games that affected my schoolwork and livelihood in my teens. I agree that in today's world, gaming is a normal and often lucrative part of our daily lives. My partner and my views towards are the same. He attends gaming conventions and regularly plays MMOs with friends. I watch games and generally stick to single player RPGs if they catch my interest.

The fact is we both like games and have no negative perceptions towards it. Even though we both game, it has not affected the time we spend together or the perception we have towards one another.

Dex-chan lover
Lol imagine having your relationship ruined by games

This message was sponsored by
the Gameless Virgin squad.

Aggregator gang
Most fat guys are gamers, but not all gamers are fat guys. You can love video games and also keep your house clean, your body fit, and your responsibilities met. As long as you're responsible enough, have a good personality, and have a healthy amount of knowledge and interests outside of gaming then you should be okay. Charisma on Command is a useful tool if you're socially awkward. I'm introverted and a little Autistic so it was a must for me.

Dex-chan lover
Kinda depends on the person and it varies
In my own experience it doesn't effect much, since we both doesn't have any overlaps in games (mine is PC while her is Mobile) and other than the general dont play too long, think about your health kind of deal, it doesn't effect much in the relationship (thankfully in my case)

True gamers don't need to care about things like hygiene or decorum or perpetuating the existence of our species. Slaying pussy is temporary. Slaving bugmen in kenshi is forever.

Users who are viewing this thread