Sekkachi Hakushaku to Jikan Dorobou - Vol. 2 Ch. 12 - The Little Girl Who Leapt Through Time

Contributor
Oh my GOD it actually updated, my week has been made 🤗

Double-page supporter
When people mention national treasure. Of course Hayao Miyazaki or Osamu names would come up naturally when it comes to Japanese pop culture. To me though, Kumeta is the precious odd ball that is always be underrated. To draw a little unfair comparison to his protege Kenjiro Hata. Hata is a competent artist in his own right but his gag comic style is much more, as much as I hate to use this word, mainstream. His gags are blended into a digestible romantic comedy slice of life. Kumeta comics are more traditionally gag, but also have that slice of life romantic comedy spice on top of it. His protege writes romantic comedy and adds gags on top while Kumeta stays true to the art and is not afraid to add bonus background gag, wall of text and put absurdity on the forefront. There's almost anyone like Kumeta and I think there's no one with as much commitment to the craft as the man. He loves gag, he loves references and he loves comic. His references could be brilliant, tickling that laugh out loud part of my brain naturally. Above all however, his art is where he's peerless in today artistic industrial production. There's a reason why people have said that only Shaft is capable of bringing Kumeta works into the small screen. The liberal usage of framing with characters, objects and gags going through frames are abundant through his chapters. They are not a one off device to spice up the pages, they are proof of Kumeta constantly exhausting himself to find better way to deliver his gags. His creativity turned every page of his into a plethora of shapes, form and flow. While it's true, he has a formula and have been producing comics following that formula for almost two decades now, he has constantly learn and evolve his art, with beautiful chapter frame to add dramatic effect to his series. Kenjiro Hata and his arch-nemesis Ken Akamatsu style barely changed through the years. Some love them for it, perhaps there's no need for change with perfection. However, to me, when an artist constantly fiddles with the same formula, if they don't change, they risk becoming outdated. Kumeta to me is a once in a lifetime super star. It would take a few more generation for another to come around. Meanwhile, I'll be looking forward to his future series with great enthusiasm.

Boy, this is one great manga. As expected from Kumeta-sensei. Thank you for the scanlation, and I hope you update it more regularly (although I know it's tough work, but 3 months after and no update is giving me despair!)

Again, thank you for the hard work, Kicchiri Scans!

Users who are viewing this thread