Reader README.txt

Custom title
Staff
Developer
NOTE: The reader does not currently necessarily work at all on some older devices and browsers, such as on iPads and Internet Explorer.

Update log
2019-09-25
* [fix] The "Preload all" button should now actually preload all images

2019-09-10
* [new] Added a gap check upon manga change (including initial load); still marks the chapter as read due to api limitations

2019-07-26
* [new] Support for external links
* [change] Using Image.decode to prevent flashing between pages in supported browsers
* [change] Using standard fetch instead of axios
* [fix] Fixed the language flag not updating correctly when moving between different manga

2019-06-03
* [fix] Fixed (or at least hopefully alleviated) a minor history state spamming related Safari issue

2019-05-24
* [fix] Fixed an issue where the delayed chapter notification wouldn't work in long strip mode
* [new] Scrolling over the "Page x / y" area turns by a single page, including in double mode

2019-05-09
* [fix] Fixed scrolling issues with opening long strip
* [fix] Removed fake lag that was accidentally left in from testing

2019-05-08
* Various improvements/changes to rendering and loading
* [change] The current page is no longer locked until the loading finishes
* [new] Long strip can be initialized from an arbitrary page, will immediately preload the page preceding the current one
* [new] Image reloading by tapping
* [new] Errored images displayed in red in the page bar
* [note] Due to the changes, it's entirely possible new bugs have been introduced

2018-09-03
* [fix] Several small fixes over the past week or so
* [new] A "warn about chapter gaps" setting, turned on by default, displays a warning alert if there's seemingly a gap between the current chapter and the next one
* [new] Added "Previous/Next chapter" buttons on the delayed chapter alert for convenience
* The unread manga in recommendations are now sorted based on the timestamp in descending order... most of the time, don't ask lol

2018-08-23
* [fix] Again, various bug fixes and internal improvements

2018-08-19
* [fix] Too many bugs to count

2018-08-18
* [improvement] A major app structure refactor; no UI changes, but reader behaviour may be very slightly affected in some cases
* [note] The refactoring may have introduced new bugs, although none were found at update time
* [fix] Fixed a bug where swiping was causing unintended page turns
* [new] If localstorage isn't available for whatever reason, settings storage now falls back to cookies

2018-08-12
* [fix] Fixed some scrolling related bugs that especially affected long strip
* [fix] Fixed a "horizontal long strip" bug that occured when changing from long strip to another mode while images were still loading
* Some attempts at increasing older browser support have been succesfully made lately, especially for some iPads, although your mileage may still vary

2018-08-09
* [new] Hovering over the page bar displays the notch's page position in a small window above it
* [new] Advanced settings are now hidden behind a toggle, can be accessed from the top of the settings menu
* [new] New setting: Tap/click target area
* [new] New setting: Touchscreen swipe direction
* [new] New setting: Recommendations (BETA, under work; only includes recent unread follows at the moment)
* [new] New option: Preload an entire chapter (logged in users only)
* [fix] Keyboard scrolling speed removed, changed to Keyboard scrolling method
* [fix] Default settings should be less... surprising for new users now
* A few minor visual changes
* Additionally, some polyfill code was added that might fix the reader for some users

2018-08-08
* v3 is live
* [new] Preloading limit increased to 20 to logged in users, while the guest limit remains at 5
* [fix] Slightly increased the wheel scroll chapter turn threshold in long strip mode

2018-08-07
* [new] Unloaded pages show up as striped in the page bar notches
* [new] The "Page x / y" area is now clickable and opens a simple dialog that can be used to skip to a page by entering a number
* [new] An "End of chapter" block appears at the end of a chapter in long strip mode
* [fix] Moving to a next or previous chapter by mouse wheel scrolling in long strip mode now has a slight threshold to prevent accidental chapter changing
* [new] In long strip mode on the mobile layout, there is now a "scroll to top" button that appears when the user scrolls up a bit and disappears upon scrolling back down
* [fix] Fixes and improvements (theoretically) to swiping and its sensitivity setting
* [fix] Changed the window title format

2018-07-12
* [new] Changed mouse wheel page turn setting to vertical scrolling page turn, allowing users to disable page turns via keyboard scrolling (may be only a temporary measure)
* [fix] The code is transpiled now, so the reader should now support more browsers

2018-07-09
* [fix] Minor rendering issues

2018-07-08
* [new] Keyboard shortcuts for next/previous chapter, page bar visibility
* [new] Optional page turn by mouse wheel
* [fix] Trying to move to a previous chapter from the first one wasn't handled correctly
* [fix] Waterfox issue where the scroll to the bottom of the screen wasn't detected correctly
* [fix] Some error alerts weren't displaying correctly, may still require further improvements
* [fix] Long strip preloading now works as it should

2018-07-03
* Layout rendering improved all around. Generally tested on the latest versions of Firefox, Chrome, Edge and Pale Moon. Some quirkiness in certain cases, especially on the more unpopular and older browsers, can be expected.
* Page bar and sidebars are now fixed on desktop widths. Page bar is hidden on mobile widths, and a dropdown is shown instead.
* Some bugs related to switching chapters should be fixed.
* Chapter listing being potentionally in a messed up order on certain browsers (such as Chrome) fixed.
* Keyboard scrolling left and right now scrolls the page if it's out of the container. The page is turned if the scroll is already at the edge. Scrolling up now turns the page backward, and down turns it forward.
* New settings: Maximum container width and Show page bar. Hiding the side bar also now remembers its setting.
* New keyboard shortcuts:
Code:
m
and
Code:
k
for exiting to manga and comments pages, respectively.
* The shortcut reminders in the sidebar are now clickable.
* Further improvements to overall system stability and other minor adjustments have been made to enhance the user experience.

2018-06-18
* Initial test release.
* Bugs everywhere.

Known issues
* Older browsers such as iPad Safari or Internet Explorer simply do not work. Whether fixing them is even possible remains to be seen. An error should be displayed if the browser is not supported.

Planned features
* A "Recommendations" page for further reading after the final page of a comic. Could include recent unread chapters, current popular chapters and so on. Could also feature other widgets like in-reader rating and follow buttons.
* Slightly faster initial loading times through API improvements (hopefully lol).

Considered features
* Infinite scrolling in long strip mode through chapters, or at least something approximating the feature.
* Drag scrolling. The feature was already tested, and it was somewhat confusing to use and interfered with page turns.
* A toggle for displaying the mobile layout at all widths, depending on whether that seems necessary.

Custom title
Staff
Developer
I'm sure I'm forgetting and missing stuff here. Feel free to use this thread for listing issues and feature suggestions in a preferably neatly formatted and clearly communicated fashion.

MD@Home
@Teasday The dividing line for Directional Turn is centered on the web page itself rather than the image.

Contributor
Long strip seems to perform worse after this update, or maybe just my connection mmm...
Btw can we have keyboard shortcut for previous and next chapter mmm...~?
And the keyboard scroll for "fast" and "sanic" imo is a bit stiff, the main site keyboard scroll seems smoother mmm...

Custom title
Staff
Developer
AviKav posted:

The dividing line for Directional Turn is centered on the web page itself rather than the image.
Thanks, fixed it as well as a bug where the direction wasn't being detected correctly if the image scrolled horizontally.

VawX posted:

Long strip seems to perform worse after this update, or maybe just my connection mmm...
Btw can we have keyboard shortcut for previous and next chapter mmm...~?
And the keyboard scroll for "fast" and "sanic" imo is a bit stiff, the main site keyboard scroll seems smoother mmm...
Compared to the old reader that simply printed everything at once, I'm not at all surprised if this performs "worse" since I have to keep track of the scroll position in order to determine when to load pages. Compared to the previous version of this reader, I did add a check that updates the current page based on the scroll position. There's a minor optimization I can do there but I don't really know if that's going to be good enough, since I'm not seeing any kind of lag at all on my computer.
I guess the chapter shortcut keys would be
Code:
q
and
Code:
e
but I'm a bit worried people hit those by accident.
Code:
^q
and
Code:
^e
maybe?
The keyboard scrolling can be a bit difficult to figure since different browsers implement smooth scrolling differently. I just tested it the first time on Chrome, but the behaviour when holding down the scroll buttons is really weird. On the other hand, it's perfectly smooth on Firefox that I can see. I want to do something about the scrolling anyway so hopefully I've got something better by the next release.

Custom title
Staff
Developer
Further improvements to overall system stability and other minor adjustments have been made to enhance the user experience.

Custom title
Staff
Developer
Further improvements to overall system stability and other minor adjustments have been made to enhance the user experience.

Custom title
Staff
Developer

Custom title
Staff
Developer

Mostly stuff pertaining to the long strip mode this time.

Group Leader
The keyboard scroll thing is really broken, especially if you hold down an arrow key. It functions like those terrible laggy smooth scrolling things.

Fed-Kun's army
Would love to be able to move the side menu bar to the left side instead of having the right as the only option.

The reason? When I 'Collapse Menu' and click or drag the browser's scrollbar to read subsequent pages, it can be easy to mistakenly click the menu bar and 'Uncollapse' the Menu, and that can be a be a bit of an annoyance to have to stop and re-close it again.

See image here if clarification needed: https://s8.postimg.cc/axatvqcwz/Side_Menu_Collapse.png

This was never an issue for me before the update because all of the chapter's images loaded at once since I used the long scroll (which wasn't limited to 20 before, iirc), and also because there was no side menu to accidentally click on and cause to pop out.

Zooming in on pictures in the new reader is broken, the site will just autoscale the picture down when you zoom in.

Custom title
Staff
Developer

Please try out the new Recommendations Beta option and give feedback on what you would like to see on it! Make sure you've got the Display advanced settings checkbox marked.

Contributor
@Teasday I'm trying to try out the recommendations feature, but I can't figure out where it's supposed to show up… I just checked, the option is enabled. I'm on mobile, and I'm not sure if the sidebar is different from the hamburger menu, is that where it shows up?

Custom title
Staff
Developer
@dylgramac posted:

@Teasday I'm trying to try out the recommendations feature, but I can't figure out where it's supposed to show up… I just checked, the option is enabled. I'm on mobile, and I'm not sure if the sidebar is different from the hamburger menu, is that where it shows up?
It's the very last option in the reader settings menu under Other settings, just before the Keyboard shortcut legend.

Contributor
@Teasday Right, I was slightly unclear, I found the setting and turned it on. Nothing happened afterwards, I even followed a random manga just so I would have a recent unread follow chapter. Where am I meant to find the manga suggested to me?

Custom title
Staff
Developer
@dylgramac posted:

@Teasday Right, I was slightly unclear, I found the setting and turned it on. Nothing happened afterwards, I even followed a random manga just so I would have a recent unread follow chapter. Where am I meant to find the manga suggested to me?
Oh, THAT'S what I forgot to mention before. The recommendations page appears when you go past the last page of the last chapter, when normally the reader would redirect to the manga's main page.

Contributor
Amusingly, you posted this reply at almost the exact time that I found the recommendations page. Thanks for telling me. Also, I was confused by the order of the manga on that page until I figured out it was by their index number. Since it's just a test, that works fine, but you might want to add that to the notes so people don't bug you about it. The format looks nice, though for actual recommendations it would be better to have the description there instead of (or along with) the most recent chapter. Another suggestion for the eventual recommendations would be to have a setting to only show complete manga, only manga with x or more chapters, only manga with a rating of x or more, along with the obvious genre settings. I have a feeling some of the early suggestions will be really random, and I'll enjoy them just for that. Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread