Detective Conan - Vol. 97 Ch. 1036 - An Adult-Like Child

10 million JPY is only 100k US. So not, that much money that we are talking about.

Fed-Kun's army
Sera: How did you know I was a girl?
Subaru: You have a female butt.

10M¥ might not seem much in dollars, but consider the living costs in Japan, it's a considerably large amount.

Spending 1$ in the US and 1¥ in Japan isn't exactly the same inherent valuation in terms of their respective spending strength.

Fed-Kun's army
Sera certainly is a distracted detective, pursuing multiple leads at the same time.

Maybe it's me, but do you really need to have a reason to get her sex right? I get it that she looks like a man, but I mean, couldn't he just say "Because you looked like a girl to me?". It's not like everyone has the same ability to separate male from females.

I don't even get what's the point of such a question. Does she want him to say something like "I like tomboys and I'm good at recognizing them", "because I've been stalking you", "Because we already met" or "Because Conan already talked to me about you"? And even if he does, what changes? It's not like she could expect him to say "Because I'm your brother" as I doubt that she has any lead to that... does she?

In Sera's defense (kinda) she is the least brilliant of the siblings... Most of the cases she "solved" were thanks to talking first with the sister outside domain (her mom) or Chuukichi (her 2nd older brother)... So guessing, being biased and failing (or being easy fooled) are a sure pattern?

@ShinobuOshino If something I would take that the point in her question is the fact that in all these years(1) someone randomly got it right... Even when the almighty Conan didn't... Since she is too an able target for the Black Organization(2)... Caution is never enough(3)... Just a case of "this guy knows too much"...?

The smug in the last page is something she shows when having the higher ground over a villain (or Ai-chan these days)(5)... Back in the train case when she was confronted with the possibility "Shuu-nii" was alive it was more "shocked" and "dumbfounded"... But I'm costumed to take losing bets...

Até mais ver
mr. Poneis

Ps.: @Loksel Well since introduced she is the only character of her triad without much of a development(4)... Guess she is putting a effort in remembering the audience of her "importance" to the plot...

(1) Sadly, I'm aware of the fact that barely a year passed in comic time...
(2) As a collateral for her mother anyways... least she is discovered...
(3) Like they say "the devil lies in the details"
(4) Subaru turned out to be A*** and receiving focus in two arcs and Amuro turning out to be B*** and receiving a movie and a spin-off... In my heart she's always will be the Koshimizu Natsuki suspicious similar substitute (3S)...
(5)Edit: for reference Sera's face in page 10 first frame (this case suspects), in page 11 fist frame (Ai), in the last page, last frame (Subaru)

Dex-chan lover
I wonder how hard it is for him to keep his identity as secret from his own sister who believes he is dead.

@mrponeis
"In Sera's defense [... she is dumb]" Lol, never seen such a "defense", but I guess it kinda works?

Oh, I didn't thought of testing her luck and see if something slips out... I'm probably dumber than her, than.

Nonetheless if she had to notice something she should have noticed that he interrupted an adult asking a kid if they are older than they look with an actual confutation. I doubt a normal person would have taken it differently than "Oh, you're such an intelligent kid" or Sera trolling the kid by talking about magic potions. Instead he answered "No, she's not because A and B". I may be biassed but to me (considering where he lives and where she met him) it's pretty clear from this that he knows something about changing age and that he tried to keep her from knowing. This also support her idea of Ai being older than she looks better than everything she tried in the chapter.

I mean it's nothing new, someone already used this in the manga, the hospital arc, when Conan answered Amuro that he was sure he didn't knew a certain someone, but people don't usually answer like that if they are telling the truth, revealing that Conan was lying about not knowing. Sadly the lack of a smile on her face says that she was too focused on getting an answer from Ai and saw him as nothing more than an annoyance... which make sense in that situation for someone of her level, I guess.
EDIT: or the empty bubble says that she noticed and said nothing... I don't know what to think.

@ShinobuOshino An comedian I used to know, A humble guy often in this kind of situation had a say: "Fui ofendido mas tô no lucro", in english it should be something like "I take offense in that, but I'll take it anyway"... The japanese trope always has the offended part offended and ignored(2)...

And a little disclaimer: she's dumber by Meitantei Conan standards, since her Jeet Kune Do (Doo?)(1) could perfectly kick my round ass any time of the day... and mastering a martial art at such age requires his own type of genius... Like they say flattery is a must do for people that values their own life...

And by rereading the last two frames in page 11... My take is that you are right in both your former guesses:
or Sera trolling the kid by talking about magic potions
and saw him as nothing more than an annoyance
There are plenty meddlesome adults these days. The reticence balloon is she eating her words to be polished since she lost that argument...

Too much of a underdog syndrome from Subaru? Or it's pretty natural of a neighbor to take sides when the "unknown older kid" is being mean to someone he knows... We live in times in that most of us don't know our own neighbor names so is pretty much YMMV territory...

Até mais ver
mr. Poneis

(1) And if you think about it, Maybe animating her fighting style has licensing issues? and that's why she doesn't get movie limelight?
(2) A certain Luffy speech comes to mind easily

@mrponeis
If he was a friendly neighbor like you say and tried to protect the kid than we should see two behaviors. People defending kids from verbal abuse usually want it to end ASAP (for the kid's sake) and without any discussion about what is actually being said (politically correct. Arguing means that the other person has a possible/valid position, trolling kids is not, you don't argue.). Moreover people usually answer so that the kid can understand that they should ignore it. He is doing none of this. In Italian slang it's "piantala di tirarle i pacchi" so I guess in English a "just leave the poor kid alone" or "stop bullying her" should do.

On the other hand, start with him randomly giving them food and knowing that Agasa brought an antique to apprise. But not only he is close to the doctor and to Ai, but he is also close to Conan (the one that she knows changed age) so much that they allowed him to live in his house (it's known by everyone where Shinichi lives in chapter 1006) during such a complex and delicate situation. Not to mention that in Ai's position having people that close is dangerous and she should know given her mum.

So, yeah, you're right that people behave in different ways and he could have tried to defend the kid in a different way. Nevertheless that behavior looks more like he considered it a valid possibility that she became younger and inside that frame he tried to make her change her mind by disproving it. This is more likely a leakage of perceived context (she changing her age being possible) rather than an uncommon person behaving strangely. Not to mention that if he really wanted an argument, than one like "So you are saying that she became younger?" should do without assuming something as impossible as becoming younger and shorter. And if he does assume that to be possible, than it's more probable that he knows rather that he is a weirdo who is coincidentally close to two rejuvenated people but knows nothing about them.

EDIT: I mean even if what I say doesn't fully stand and it's possible that he is just a random guy, if she answered his point with a "So you are saying that becoming younger is possible and it's just not her case?" it'd be a better question than the current one she asked. He'd probably answer a "obviously not" at which she'd tell him that if that's the case he wouldn't have given an answer that assumed it to be a possibility, giving some examples. He may still go around it, but it's better than "How did you know that I'm a female?" This even ignoring his argument and just thinking about his relationship with Conan, Agasa and Ai

@ShinobuOshino My bad should've used panel instead of frame... Let me correct this first...

Subaru mainly demerit is being hella suspicious... and the fact that nobody bothered telling Ai that he is Akaisource... But against Sera has the perfectly high ground since being a longtime friend to Agasa and Yuusaku (Shinichi's father, a famous writer with lots and lots of friends) still is a perfect justifiable excuse... Nobody can call him on always having food to share or being to meddlesome of a neighbor...

Now for Sera I think she needs someone else to sort whats meta, therefore confidential and should be omitted in that conversation and non meta, safe to say in that ambient with at least 3 possible (kinda) Black Organization members(1)... These guys now and then like the Crazy Prepared trope, emphasis in the crazy part... but Sera is being too careless going after Haibara... Though the series get away with worse slips sometimes(2)...

The cards she can play are very weak too... She sure knows (in her heart) that Shinichi is Conan but never got anything conclusive on him... the same for Haibara (a suspicious Conan's distaff counterpart)... And against Subaru she only has "OOC is serious bussiness"... She's just wildly went "all in" with a very hard to buy bluff...

Cause well, even if it's not telling someone on how she should act around someone younger (the politically correct way)... the fact that he was just getting under her skin cause she was getting under the little girl skin (the troll way)... By now she really have not palpable to argue... Any useful connection is just wishful on her part since Conan being around smart people isn't anything unusual...

By the usual pattern next chapter He or Conan will shut the cliffhanger down with some barely lame excuse... Let's wait for the really big slip(4) besides the case conclusion... Not much for Sera, but Mari should offer something for the plot advancement... Or so I hope...

Até mais ver
mr. Poneis

(1) It happened at least 3 times in these 1000+ chapters?
(2) Strange how I'm okay with sleeping Kogoro but the Agasa ventriloquism is inexcusable...
(3) Let me reiterate that the Joke about Sera's gender is one of the biggest long runner in the series...
(4) Bonus points for something embarrassing only a mother could know about her son...

@mrponeis
> Now for Sera I think ...
Yeah, you're right. I noticed it but I totally forgot in my last comment. This is more than enough to void my reasoning.

Sera can we pls focus on the fact that there is a literal murderer on the loose somewhere k thx

Users who are viewing this thread