Poll about scanlation groups that left.

Poll about scanlation groups that left.

• Yes I will go and read the manga there.

Votes: 88 19.3%
  • No I have no plans to read the manga over there.

Votes: 284 62.3%
  • Not sure. (withdrawal symptoms have not sent in yet.)

Votes: 84 18.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Dex-chan lover
This is not to comment about decisions made.
Only about wither you will go to other sites to continue reading.

No FLAMING or NEGATIVITY.
No need to JUSTIFY your decision. (Either way)
There is a third option for the wishy/washy.

In other words. You just need to vote. Duration to vote (14days)

Dex-chan lover
You can't tell me what to do! FLAME ON!
*fly aways*

Alright enough messing around.
I do still occasionally go to two scanlators site that left MD which is JB and Champion.
So.. poll wise, I guess it make me take the first option then.

Chose the second option.

Now to justify my reason.
First. I don't plan on reading on other aggregates. I can read Japanese just fine so any manga is not a loss for me, which means I only lost two titles: Solo Level and Returner (at least until Volcanic Age and Moonlight Sculptor returns), which isn't a great loss.

Second Reason and my main reason is that they completely lied about why they left and started a smear campaign to boot. Had their reason been that MD isn't fighting enough for their freedom/rights as scanlators (debatable but at least respectable) or that they felt that MD wasn't being neutral, I would've respected their decisions. But this was just a scummy move and I have no intention of deliberately supporting anyone involving that. Tad shame too, I was following Meraki and Champion near their creation.

I won't read anything that got pulled & are no longer available on MD. Click "Unfollow", and that's that, end of story.
Using MD is a matter of convenience. I'm not feeling particularly motivated to go somewhere else to read manga. And honestly, extra drama isn't what you'd call a motivator. Unsurprisingly it does not add to the convenience.

TMW

Clicked the third option. I'm willing to follow other sites than MD, but none of the groups that left are working on anything I'm interested in. Meraki used to scanlate stuff I enjoyed, but dropped it all in favour of action manhua.

Dex-chan lover
I really don't know the response to polls would be. Never had the chance to see views in any other poll I have conducted. With 109 views and only 29 votes. That's less than 1/3 responding. Better than USA presidential election years. But way less than I expected.
This poll is yes/no/not sure. If 75% respond. Then all parties can see. Elections always have consequences. Everyday decisions have consequences. To show to all thier choices have consequences you have to vote.

Nah. I'm (almost) exclusively reading from MD. The titles that I really like weren't affected (I think?),
like Watamote, Hatarakanai Futari, Kannou Sensei, Watashi no Shounen, Nora to Zassou, Mieruko-chan, Ryugasaki-san, Tomo, Komi, Saotome, Reiri, Gokushufudou, Mokuyoubi wa Kimi to Nakitai, Shibito no Koe wo Kiku ga Yoi.

Most of the stuff on my reading list that got pulled out are the ones that I read because I've got nothing else to read. There's even a few that I was planning to drop, then got pulled out. To sum up, whatever happened was not much of a loss for me.

Yes, because most of the titles that I was reading were completely affected so I have no choice but to read it on other site, even how mich bothersome it could be. I also won't be dropping those manga since I can't give up senpai!

Dex-chan lover
While it's understandable to be pissed at those who left, I don't get those who unfollowed the mangas they pulled. like... what? My manga feeds are MD front page and r/manga, so either way all the popular mangas should appear all the same to me. (i found this thread from MD front page)

The only important series I follow that was pulled was Solo Leveling, I'll read whatever end up in my feeds whether it's from JB or some other. It's not like reading it by clicking through a link from reddit and reading it here makes a difference to me personally. I read all 3 versions for the last chapter and enjoyed 2 of them, not a loss in my terms. All other mangas, I'll just be pleasantly surprised when other groups starts to fill the hole and pop up in my feed. I'm not too picky.

My reason/s for option 2:

I prefer convenience and efficiency in reading manga as a time consumer so I use sites like MD and MR.

Since I use 2 sites at once if one is affected the other isn’t, and is only affected if sometime directly affects the scanlators said site is feeding of off.

Basically I use 2 sites, MD for daily reads, guilty pleasures, and etc. As well as MR simply for series not here or are more updated then ones here. (Should’ve just said a tl:dr but it’s already here so...)

I’m going to read my favorite manga, and if it’s not here I have to go elsewhere to do it. If I could read Japanese I might have the luxury of making a principled stand here, but I can’t. So far, only one of the mangas I read was effected, it just so happens it’s my number one favorite, so that’s the only one I’ll have to read elsewhere. If I’m dying to watch a movie and Netflix hasn’t picked it up, then I’ll go to red box, that’s just all there is to it. I dislike all the drama the scanlators caused here, but I’m unclear as to how I can help do anything about it. I like MD bc you guys aren’t like the shady aggregators, but when authors and publishers don’t care enough about English readers (or other languages) to offer translations, I don’t really know what else to do. They’ll get ppl hooked with anime’s that only last a season or two, then fail to offer any translations on the continuation of the stories. If you ask me the whole system is weird—it’s set itself up for all the crap it complains about. But, I’m going to stick here as much as possible, if that helps at all.

Just 2nd option. While yes it is inconvenient that those no longer exist, the big groups who had a 'stranglehold' on some of the series are no longer exerting their presence leading to new groups popping in in the space that has opened. MD let groups delay as they pleased for releases. I've seen plenty of groups come and go. This is just more of the same.

Aggregator gang
1st option because several of the manga I read went with them, if other people start doing those themselves and put it up on MD I'll re-read them here. until then I'm a broke, manga thirsty unicorn, and I'll read it wherever I can~

Dex-chan lover
second option for me, cause even when I do read on their site (sometimes the chapters aren't displaying properly on aggregators) I use adblock, programs that block bitcoin miners and all that good stuff, so even if I go there they won't be getting a single penny from me (unless there's any other way I don't know of, then, I'll use the aggregators most of the time so I don't go to their sites)

Dex-chan lover
1st option. I very rarely dislike groups of people, and the one scanlation group I dislike isn't one of them. Not to mention I go there because I want to read those mangas, not because I personally support them; the same goes with MD. These groups offer a solution to my necessity. As long as there's no alternative, I'll use their solution

2 option because I simply wont even realize that x series isnt here anymore, nor will be able to find it because dont even remember they were a thing, hell I probably have +350 reading not counting the in hold and to read ones, so having to be constantly checking a x amount of websites to check 1-2 series I more or less care is a big no no for me, after all I started using these type of websites because its easy to just scroll down the updates list to find new interasting stories. aka I am lazy and I like it

Dex-chan lover
I'm kind of torn on how to vote, because the way you have it worded makes it sound like you're talking about going to the group's site to read, in which case that would be a 2 for me. If all you mean is "a site other than MD" instead, then I guess that would be a 1 for me.

The only series that really got affected for me by this whole thing is Bokutachi wa Benkyou ga Dekinai and since I can just read the new official chapters free on Viz itself, I don't have any reason to go to JB's site. Any other series I followed that were part of this the groups either already dropped, I completed reading, or the people working on it formed their own group and are continuing. Sure, it might affect if I wanted to re-read some of those series, but I've got plenty of other stuff to read/watch/play to last me more than one lifetime, so I really don't see that happening any time soon anyways.

Sem

Dex-chan lover
I'm lazy and don't particularly care one way or another what gets picked up or dropped. There are a handful of series that I really care about, but I'm following up on buying translated volumes for them so not having a scanlation to read only prolongs my wait, it doesn't get rid of the series. Manga scanlations are unpredictable and I've seen dropped or cancelled series before. This doesn't really bother me anymore. It's a pain in the butt to have to scour different websites to keep track of my reading material.

Most of what got pulled looked like it wasn't on my priority list anyhow. A lot of what I enjoy is available legally anyway due to publishers starting to recognize the value in online readers so I don't need to depend on scanlations as heavily as I used to.

Dex-chan lover
@ZaxaPac
Exactly my point. By this time everybody must have heard about the great departure. Everybody has come to there own decision. It doesn't matter what was said by this group or that group, to whom or what.
I was only interested in knowing by poll. What the consensus is (aka: Mood of the populace). Boycotts almost never work. Only time will tell if this one will work either.

Personal point: The USA Honda sales and dealers association decide to pull advertising for a talk show host. They could have done it gracefully. Instead they made a big and flashy deal out of it. They spent money to even advertise it. Bottom line: They were boycotting the talk show host.

I was very knowledgeable of the events that took place. Nothing warranted USA Honda sales stance. So I emailed both Honda in Japan and USA Honda sales the next car I buy was not going to be a Honda. This hurt me financially, I have a aunt who works at a Honda dealer. I could have gotten a car at almost cost. My next car was a Chevy pickup.

Users who are viewing this thread