Rant about Mangadex going legit, wanting to support the industry, thoughts about crunchyroll and possible policies

Just wanted to share my opinion on this topic since the relevant threads have both been locked @holo @ixlone

I think it would be a great idea if Mangadex could become legit in the future and pay fan translators on a commissioned basis. I honestly feel kind of bad with my lack of support towards the anime/manga industry right now. I don't really want overpriced blu-rays from Japan since I like to have the files on my computer, don't want to buy raw manga from there since I don't speak Japanese (yet) and don't want to purchase western equivalents where little money goes back to the creators in Japan.

This kinda ties in with why I refuse to use Crunchyroll, partly because I'm old enough to know where they come from (garbage owners stealing fansubs, pretending it's their own content and selling it for money) while also giving very little of the users' subscriptions back to Japanese creators. I think I've heard that a seasonal license for a show is roughly 10k (and less for the short ones obviously) and they claim that they give extra to popular shows (but they refuse to tell you exactly how much, presumably because it's peanuts) but let's be generous and assume they give 20k for every regular show and let's say they do 30 shows a season. Crunchyroll has 2 million paying users and a sub costs 6.66$ a month but since it changes on the region lets say it's 5$ per person.

This gives them
10.000.000$ month for servers, programmers, translator, quality checkers, taxes etc
200.000$ a month going to Japan

Even if you factor in the costs, the fact that 2% (or less than 5% even while doing a very generous estimation) of the money you're paying goes to supporting the creators in Japan is absolutely unacceptable as a consumer wanting to support the industry. And it's not like I couldn't afford the subscription, I throw roughly 50$ a month on random people at Patreon, Twitch and Paypal that I care a hell of a lot less about then anime/manga, but the problem is a lack of good alternatives for people like me.

Whoever said that piracy is a service problem rather than a monetary one spoke some damn true words. The reason piracy is loosing market shares in western shows, music and computer games is due to companies like Netflix, Spotify and Steam giving way better service to the consumers than we used to have and outcompeting pirates. We still lack something like this for manga though and while we have Crunchyroll for anime they still kinda fall short partly due to being scumbags but also that 99% of us got anime through piracy to begin with and they don't offer a better service unless you want to stream shit on your phone (which I personally don't because I feel it's detrimental to the experience and you can only watch a show once).

So as my concluding thoughts I'd love to have a (good) option to support the manga industry by shilling out 5~10$ a month but I want to stress the importance of transparency, service satisfaction and keeping a decentralized model for translation which is what created our community to begin with.

When it comes to transparency it's just that I and many others would want to know what our funding is going to, that you either have a hard line saying you take a 30% cut of income to pay wages/costs/profit margin while the rest goes to Japan or just be transparent about the cost/income aspect so we can reaffirm that our money goes to proper things and how much goes to what. I believe that a good idea would be start out with the latter model (while the profit margin is low) and once you've got a lot of paying users you could switch to the first model. Even if you don't make as much potential profits in the short-term by limiting yourself to a 30% cut you'll make up for it in the long-term since the company will have better growth due to being viewed in a more positive light and have more Japanese license holders jump at the opportunity of listing their series here, thus giving customers a better service which also helps grow the platform.

As for service satisfaction I think there's a core points that are important to keep. Two points that I think we all can agree on is which are simple to get is to not censor the series you're doing or over-localize it and keep it as true as possible to the original and to remain politically averse as a company. I'm sure that me and others would love to support companies with the same core values as ourselves but would also hate to support them if they start supporting things we strongly disagree with, thus I think the best middle-ground is to not get politically involved at all. If I'm to argue with moderators/people I'm paying money to every month I'd rather it be about flat breasts versus big breasts rather than which system of governance we should have and the view on the individual in society.

Lastly for keeping a decentralized model I think it's important to keep the barriers between fans and scanlators low and have them be paid on a commissioned basis for the work they do rather than some high hurdle steady employment for a inner circle, though obviously scanlators who've been doing it for a while with a good record should be prioritized when there's limited work compared to new people you're unsure of. As for concrete suggestions on scanlating itself, maybe have a trust system for every translator/typesetter and that the new ones gets regularly reviewed (and suspended if their stuff isn't up to par) while you also have ''trusted'' scanlators who've uploaded plenty of stuff with good quality and only gets reviewed if users reports a scanlation for poor quality. To summarize the model it should be by fans, for fans like the scanlation/fansubbing community has always been and not feel like a highly corporate service with greedy owners who don't care about the industry like Crunchyroll is.

I said concluding thoughts but turned out to be the majority of the post haha. Just some of my thoughts about how I'd like a manga platform to be run from having theorized on the idea for a while to entertain myself. It's probably still a long while left until going legit would be even possible so the focus for now should be to make as good a platform as possible and to grow the market share but I think it's beneficial to have this conversation as early into development as possible. If you guys have anything you'd like to add or discuss please do, I think that the more we argue about his stuff the better solution we'll come up with.

Dex-chan lover
1. fairly sure mangadex is not gonna get the chance to go legit anytime soon so your models ain't gonna work right now. In the mean time either join different scans group, and/or be a dedicated raw payer (provided there is a raw buyer in the group).

Alternatively you can donate to Web mangakas or import merch directly from their sites (google translate) shipping might be a problem for some.

2. There are subscribe services for shounen jump and others not many though.

Miku best girl
Admin
I'm pretty sure that if users had the chance to pay $5-$10 a month to access a library as big as MD (including all the unavailable chapters) legally, they would.

The problem relates to the cost of licensing (or sublicensing) all the 30,000 titles that we have, lol. Therefore it makes the whole thing very unlikely.

@Teddy Completely agree with you, as I said in the last part I don't think it's possible for Mangadex to go legit any time soon and should just focus on making the platform as good as possible and growing their userbase. The models are suggestions for in the future when Mangadex has grown a fair bit larger and properly cemented its place as leading platform in the manga community that this might become relevant, as said I think it's good to have this conversation as early into the process as possible.

I guess merchandise gives a good chunk of the profits to the license holder but I'd actually want to have the items as well, as for web mangaka I feel like most of them just do twitter manga (where I'm not a huge fan of most of them) and they probably only post in Japanese so maybe once I've properly learned hiragana and katakana? As said there's no ''THIS IS IT!'' way of me supporting the original creators in Japan right now, at least until I've learned Japanese.

I know that there are a few manga reading platforms that are legit but the problem with those are that they have very small selections and only a few actors in the industry benefiting from them. Part of the reason I think it's better for Mangadex to wait until going legit is that if they have a far larger userbase they'll be able to entice more license holders in Japan to cooperating (hopefully all of them) so they wont hurt the supply of the platform. They wouldn't really be able to do legit and pirate series at once, so if they only get one major publisher then 90% of the manga on the platform will have to disappear and people will have to migrate elsewhere.

Personally I'd like it if the money was distributed to the licenses depending on reader participation. If say I read 10 different series (low number but for example) and 3.5$ out of my 5$ are going to the license holders then each of them would be getting 35 cents. This will better help fund more popular series which are drawing people to the platform while limiting funding for the stuff people aren't interested in.

I think this would be a better way to do it then let's say basing a series income only on amount of views, since that would mean that if I were only to read 10 series a month and another guy reads 100 series a month and we both pay the same then he gets to influence 90% of our funding despite both of us paying exactly the same.

@holo Exactly, that's why you guys probably need to wait until a point where you have a majority of the western market share for manga and combine that with promising a large cut of the future profits to the licensees rather than paying a fixed amount up front. The license holders just like any companies have as their main focus to profit, if they believe themselves to be able to make a profit from cooperating with you then they will. As said this is why you should just focus on making the platform as good as possible for now and grow the userbase, but might be good to start considering your options if you are to go legit in the future.

Dex-chan lover
@elbow

Your enthusiasm is good.

But suggest you look at steams deals with game developers and why that doesn't work the best at times.

Contributor
@Holo This does get me wondering, while we have a "Retail" slot under the information section, is it possible to also put a link in it as well leading to a creator's (not the scanlator's of course) website/patreon/whatnot (assuming they have one available) for those who would prefer to donate directly, or if there isn't a retail available. I know it may be possible to put it in the description, but it may be a good idea to be able to have that available as well. Main issue I would see with this is being able to verify that the link(s) is correct.

I still remember jmanga, it has soured me on the ideas that japanese publisher had for western audience, that website was mostly yaoi, and they cockteased shuffle manga on launch but never released it. I was a member, i remember being angry about yaoi manga. Some months, yaoi was all we got. Stupid website jmanga was.

I don't think mangadex will work as service because scanlations is doing it for free and they do whatever they wanna whenever they feel like it no deadlines and stuff like that. And then I don't think publisher want to pay for ddos protection.

I would be against it, mostly because it would end like Crunchyroll's problems with licenses overseas. You live outside the US? You pay the same or more for way less stuff, and there is no guarantee the series you want to watch will be available at all. When the One Piece Gold movie was released a spanish private TV corporation aquired the exclusive rights to distribute the whole franchise, movies and anime, Crunchyroll, understandably, pulled the anime from the spanish site. The real kicker is that the TV corp. didn't do anything besides screening the movie and selling the movie's BluRays, so now they are sitting on the license for who knows how long and are not doing anything with it, not even screening it on one of their TV channels. And it's not the only company that does it, every single TV company in the country has a myriad of licenses for many shows, anime, series and are doing nothing with them, just renewing it the license when it expires.

But at the end of the day this is not my website, if something happens that I don't like, there's no big deal, it won't be the first time and it won't be the last, that's just they way it has been since forever, I'm not going to go ballistic over it. The only people who get very agressive are those who have something wrong in their heads or have money on the line, either they gave money or are about to lose it.

Miku best girl
Admin
Just a reminder that this is still all hypothetical... Elon hasn't wired me 1 billion dollars yet!

If done right and with the right amount of $$$, I think the vision @Holo and co. can think of will lead to a different outcome as to what happened to Fakkyu and Crunchyroll and make this site a full on international manga hub.

But of course as what Holo himself said we ain’t getting it any time soon. But at the same time Mangadex as it is is already really good, with a bit of trust issues here and there due to past history (dear lord we shouldn’t repeat history again), we already have one of the best options for manga reading we can hope for, albeit flawed due to a legality and such as well as humans being humans it is good.

Let’s just get our morals straight about Mangadex straight and clarify some reservations with the admins and scanlators if need so.

I'd definitely be fine with a subscription based service. I'm already subscribed to Shonen Jump digitally for $1.99/month and various streaming sites. I just don't like the individual pricing of manga and most (legal) digital sites are on a buy-per-chapter basis, which is not something that I find reasonable.

Users who are viewing this thread